cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Camera Issues[Canon rebel t5]

Mossbot
Contributor

Hello my names Moss and I am new to this form! Smiley Happy
I've been having a lot of issues with my camera, It is a Canon Rebel t5, and I've had it for around about 2 almost 3 years. I should also mention that I haven't used it all that much either.

My issues are that it in every option excpet for 'movie shooting', 'flash off' and 'landscape' does it allow me to take photos. In all the other options LCD monitor will stay on the little screen that explains what this mode does, and then goes to one that says 'The use of a tripod is recommended. Standard setting'' with a number in the right corner '1948'(i don't know if that means anything, just thought I'd include it just in case.) Whenever I press the button to take a photo, everything that was on the screen will disappear, the screen going black and the flash will pop up and rapid fire? as in go off a bunch, Even if I have it set to not have the flash go off. In the Landscape mode, it won't bring up the flash, but the screen will go black and it'll start to auto focus the lense turning, but nothing will show up on the screen, and when i hold the button all the way it'll take a photo but nothing will pop up on the LCD screen other then the preview of the photo I took, that is also the case when I'm on the flash off Mode.
(Hopefully this all makes sense, forgive me if it doesn't I am not the best at explaining things so forgive me)

I'm not sure why it is doing this? I have even tried resetting it, as in deleting any saved settings or custom fuctions on it, and that hasn't resolved the issue, For all I know this could just be me not really understanding how to use it, so forgive me if thats the case, but any help on how to resolve these issues would be appreciated! Man Very Happy

11 REPLIES 11

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

What lens?

Does it do it when the lens is set for manual focus?

I don't really, know the actual kind of lens but if it helps any its the one the camera came with on it. And yes it does it when its set to manual focus. :U

@Mossbot wrote:
I don't really, know the actual kind of lens but if it helps any its the one the camera came with on it. And yes it does it when its set to manual focus. :U

Please don't take this as hostile; but we can't begin to help you if you haven't even read the camera's specs and its instruction manual, and obviously you haven't. If you can't find those, let us know. Otherwise, ask us again when you have read them, if you're still confused. We'll be happy to help however we can.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

Are you indoors? It sounds like the flash is popping up and firing to give you enough light for focusing.

You really should look at the manual or at least some YouTube videos on how to use the camera.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

Ah yeah I am indoors. So I guess that's probably the reason why flash is acting like it is? I don't have the manual that came in the box but I have found a pdf version of the manual online so I'll give a look through it and see if that can help me out any.

@Mossbot wrote:
Ah yeah I am indoors. So I guess that's probably the reason why flash is acting like it is? I don't have the manual that came in the box but I have found a pdf version of the manual online so I'll give a look through it and see if that can help me out any.

Chance is your camera is fine.

It does appear that you are indoors and it's simply too dark for the camera to do a decent job.  The camera has 3 things it can work with - aperture which is the lens opening, the shutter speed which is the duration the shutter opens to let light in and the third is the ISO which is the light sensitivity of the sensor.  They all have limits, especially with aperture and ISO.  Once the camera cranks aperture values and ISO to maximize the light ... it will have to open the shutter for long period of time.  Normally without a tripod, one can safely shoot at 1/30 of a second or faster without blurring - hence the tripod warning.  

Another tell tale sign is that the flash pops up and shoots rapidly...the flash does that when it's too dark for the camera to focus and the flash does that to help the camera sees...this tells me it's too dark when you tried.

Go outside during daytime to try taking pictures.  Reading the manual will also helps 🙂

================================================
Diverhank's photos on Flickr

Aa thank you so so much for the help! Also thank you for explaining things so I can understand now! I'll be sure to read through the manual to help me out even more thank you! I'm assuming that if I were to get a tripod it would probably help resolve the issue right? Or at least if I were to get in better lighting right?

@Mossbot wrote:
Aa thank you so so much for the help! Also thank you for explaining things so I can understand now! I'll be sure to read through the manual to help me out even more thank you! I'm assuming that if I were to get a tripod it would probably help resolve the issue right? Or at least if I were to get in better lighting right?

Yes on both counts. The tripod will help you resolve the lack of light problem by opening the shutter for long periods (up to 30 seconds).  This is fine provided that the subject you're trying to photograph doesn't move.  If it moves, your subject will be blurred and you will need a faster shutter speed to freeze the motion.  In that case you need to use the flash or turn on more lights.

The tripod, imho, is essential equipment.  I have 5 of them from super portable to super sturdy (my largest tripod costs more than most cameras (above $ 1K)).

The easiest way to learn is to search on youtube on the Canon Rebel T5, I'm sure there will be multiple videos showing you how to use your camera.  For the most part, they are very useful.  The manual assumes you understand the basics.  Just search youtube for the Exposure Triangle.  There are hundreds of videos on this topic alone.  Many are quite good.

================================================
Diverhank's photos on Flickr

Ah thats good to hear! I'll make sure to look into videos for more help and I'll keep reading the manual! Then I'll go and look about finding myself a tripod. 😄 Thanks for the help again!
Announcements