cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CANON REBEL T3i LENS

Dreamphotos1
Apprentice

I just purchased a lens for my EOS Rebel T3i. The lens I purchase was the RF 14-35mm f/4L IS USM Ultra-Wide-Angle Zoom Lens for RF Mount Canon. The lens will not fit on the camera. Did I purchase the wrong lens? 

5 REPLIES 5

rs-eos
Elite
Elite

Yes.  RF lenses can only work with RF-mount cameras and cinema cameras.

Your camera can only work with EF or EF-S lenses.  Hopefully you can return the item (though it is opened, so not sure on the return policy from where you bought it).

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

@rs-eos wrote:

Yes.  RF lenses can only work with RF-mount cameras and cinema cameras.

Your camera can only work with EF or EF-S lenses.  Hopefully you can return the item (though it is opened, so not sure on the return policy from where you bought it).

Hopefully, you have enough to upgrade your camera to an RP.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Tronhard
Elite
Elite

Definitely you want another lens.  Since you have a crop-sensor camera the best lenses would be: an EF-S type, which are specifically designed for this sensor- I have all of these and they are all great lenses.

Canon EF-S 17-55 f/2.8 IS USM - a very good lens  - this is arguably Canon's best APS-C lens.
Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 slightly wider aperture, and a really good lens - I have two of them!
Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 gives you a range of wider angles if that is critical to you.

Definitely return the RF lens and get one of the above.

cheers, TREVOR

"The Amount of Misery expands to fill the space available"
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

LloydL
Apprentice
The Canon EOS Rebel T3i is available bundled with the EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS lens. This lens has agenerous (for a kit lens) and versatile optical zoom ratio of 7.5x with a 35mm equivalent range is about 29-216mm, because of the T3i's ~1.6x crop factor.

Given the OP deliberately purchased a lens that was ultra-to-medium wide angle (14-35), the question is whether the 18-135, which is a good general-purpose unit, is really what they want.   I deliberately looked at lenses that would be more in the range for which they showed a preference.
The EF-S10-22mm, for example, has an equivalent FoV of 16-35mm, which is VERY close to the range they chose and is, I suspect, as close as possible to their intent.

cheers, TREVOR

"The Amount of Misery expands to fill the space available"
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris
Announcements