cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broken Contact - EF 100-400 LENS will not work

bama924
Contributor

I have a t8i that I use for sports photography, went to shoot soccer matches Saturday, but my t8i would not shoot?  Had to use my back up.  Just noticed that one of the contact on the end had broken off, other lenses work, but not the 400.  Can this be repaired, or am I out a camera?

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

You can start a repair request on the Canon website. Whether or not they will cover it under warranty I can't say. It certainly is new enough.

View solution in original post

You can go to your My Canon Account and start the repair process. It will walk you through the whole thing step-by-step.

Once our team gets your gear, they'll let you know upon evaluation whether it's considered covered under warranty or physical damage - only the folks at the Factory Service Center can determine that.

You'll want to make sure to upload your proof of purchase (receipt) to your My Canon Account when you register your camera - that will expedite your repair process and let the team know it's still within the warranty period, too. A legible copy/PDF of the invoice is required - not a credit card statement. 

View solution in original post

16 REPLIES 16

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

What contact? One of the contacts in the body that mate to the lens? Can you post a screen shot?

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

It is the contact in the body of the camera.IMG_6183.jpg

Contact Canon, it can be repaired

I called the 800 number, there was a 40 minute wait.  My camera is less than a year old, is there a better way to contact them, and to see if it is covered under warranty?

You can start a repair request on the Canon website. Whether or not they will cover it under warranty I can't say. It certainly is new enough.

Just watching this post, JIC I need repairs by Canon or an authorized repair facility.

Edit: FWIW, I have made it a practice to keep receipts, etc., regarding a purchase for any warranty claims. My wife and I went through a receipt file that weighed about 7 lbs. and pared it down to a few ounces. Tossed info on old TVs, appliances, etc.

John
Canon EOS T7; EF-S 18-55mm IS; EF 28-135mm IS; EF 75-300mm; Sigma 150-600mm DG

You can go to your My Canon Account and start the repair process. It will walk you through the whole thing step-by-step.

Once our team gets your gear, they'll let you know upon evaluation whether it's considered covered under warranty or physical damage - only the folks at the Factory Service Center can determine that.

You'll want to make sure to upload your proof of purchase (receipt) to your My Canon Account when you register your camera - that will expedite your repair process and let the team know it's still within the warranty period, too. A legible copy/PDF of the invoice is required - not a credit card statement. 

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"Can this be repaired, or am I out a camera?"

I have no doubt that Canon can repair this. However, are you a person that cleans the contacts regularly? Perhaps vigorously?

Nothing but a soft q-tip with a bit of alcohol on it is best. I don't even recommend folks do that if they change lenses often as the mounting and unmounting will keep the contacts clean enough. 

If it just failed or fell out for some reason, I can't see how they can deny a warranty repair but I'm not Canon. It will surprise me if they do deny it.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

I suspect Canon will cover the repair.  That type of failure isn't something that would occur through typical mishandling. 

It appears the connector pin probably had a material flaw and sheared in the center; perhaps this spring loaded pin jammed in the extended position and sheared off but neither case would be caused by the customer.

Even milspec parts have a non-zero manufacturing defect rate and milspec connectors wouldn't be used in this application.

This should be a simple repair for the service center assuming that connector assembly isn't one of the many weird pandemic related parts shortages.

Rodger

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video
Announcements