cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Brand new SL3 camera crashes with green and pink vertical lines on screen and won't turn on

Lamons
Apprentice

I just received my new SL3 yesterday. I also bought this sd card: 
- SanDisk 128GB Extreme PRO SDXC UHS-I Card - C10, U3, V30, 4K UHD, SD Card - SDSDXXY-128G-GN4IN

I was using it fine and suddenly the screen changed for green and pink vertical lines and seemed to crash. I tried turning off the camera but it didn't change a thing so I had to remove the battery to stop it. After that it was not turning on. I tried removing and reinserting the SD card and the battery but nothing. 

After some research I found someone saying to remove the lens, sd card and batery and let it sit. I did so for about 3 hours and also overwrite formatted the sd card with my pc using SD Card Formatter. I then reassembled it and it turned on! I immediatly went in the menu and formatted the card from the camera, and took a few pictures to test it out everything was looking fine, but then after about 3 minutes the same crash happened with the green and pink vertical lines and I still can't turn it on.

I bought it through amazon so I can probably just send it back as disfunctional but I'd rather try to fix it if possible, or maybe the problem is somewhere else??

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

I would exchange it for a different camera since its new. I also recommend shopping at Canon Authorized retailers. Such as B&H Photo or Adorama. Not all Amazon sellers are Authorized to sell Canon gear. If you do buy Canon gear from Amazon make sure it says "Sold and Shipped by Amazon". If not it could be Gray Market Equipment. If you would need to have it fixed under warranty Canon MAY NOT be able to repair it. They may not have the parts to fix it under warranty and your warranty claim CAN BE DENIED. Will the camera work correctly with the lens unmounted. Or will the camera work correctly when a different lens is used. If you have a 2nd Canon EF or EF-S lens or if one can be borrowed.

-Demetrius

Current Gear: EOS 5D Mark IV, EF 16-35mm F/2.8L III USM, EF 24-70mm F/2.8L II USM, EF 50 F/1.8 STM, EF 85mm F/1.8 USM, EF 70-200mm F/2.8L IS III USM, 430EX III-RT, 470EX-AI & 600EX II-RT

Retired Gear: EOS 40D, Sigma 17-50mm F/2.8 EX DC OS HSM & EF 28-135mm F/3.5-5.6 IS USM

-Demetrius

Current Gear: EOS 5D Mark IV, EF F/2.8 Trinity, EF 50mm F/1.8 STM, EF 85mm F/1.8 USM, 470EX-AI & 600EX II-RT

Retired Gear: EOS 40D

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

deebatman316
Authority
Authority

Will the camera power up with the lens unmounted and the SD card removed. If it does power up the lens or the SD card is faulty. I also recommend using a 32 GB SD card. Your 128 GB is too big for your camera. Most Rebel cameras do not like 64 GB or larger cards. Even though the manual states that 64 GB or larger cards can be used.

-Demetrius

Current Gear: EOS 5D Mark IV, EF 16-35mm F/2.8L III USM, EF 24-70mm F/2.8L II USM, EF 50 F/1.8 STM, EF 85mm F/1.8 USM, EF 70-200mm F/2.8L IS III USM, 430EX III-RT, 470EX-AI & 600EX II-RT

Retired Gear: EOS 40D, Sigma 17-50mm F/2.8 EX DC OS HSM & EF 28-135mm F/3.5-5.6 IS USM

-Demetrius

Current Gear: EOS 5D Mark IV, EF F/2.8 Trinity, EF 50mm F/1.8 STM, EF 85mm F/1.8 USM, 470EX-AI & 600EX II-RT

Lamons
Apprentice

I discovered that by removing the battery and toggling the on off button about 100 times I could deplete the internal battery and it would then turn on when I put the battery back in. So I first tested it as I did before and it crashed again after about 5 minutes. I then started it without the card in and it didn't crash so after about 10 minutes I put the card back in and it has been running for about 15 minutes with the card without crashing. I will still buy a 64Gb sd card as you recommended in case it was the cause.
I will report back if a crash happens again,

64 GB is still to big for a Rebel to handle. Even though the manual states they can be used. They often cause more problems than what its worth. Go with multiple 32 GB SD cards full size SD cards. Not micro SD cards in an adapter. Those also cause a lot problems that are posted in the forum.

-Demetrius

-Demetrius

Oops indeed I misread your message.
But anyway I don't think that is the cause in the end, I was just testing playing with different modes with and without the card and it crashed when there was no SD card..

I would exchange it for a different camera since its new. I also recommend shopping at Canon Authorized retailers. Such as B&H Photo or Adorama. Not all Amazon sellers are Authorized to sell Canon gear. If you do buy Canon gear from Amazon make sure it says "Sold and Shipped by Amazon". If not it could be Gray Market Equipment. If you would need to have it fixed under warranty Canon MAY NOT be able to repair it. They may not have the parts to fix it under warranty and your warranty claim CAN BE DENIED. Will the camera work correctly with the lens unmounted. Or will the camera work correctly when a different lens is used. If you have a 2nd Canon EF or EF-S lens or if one can be borrowed.

-Demetrius

-Demetrius

Announcements