cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best 3rd party lenses for canon eos R50

Kmzz
Apprentice

Hi, I am a beginner in photography. I have been looking for the best camera I can start with as a beginner, that is, my 1st camera and the Canon R50 ticked all my boxes.  

However, I do not know whether the camera will work with 3rd party lenses like sigma and Tamron. Are there any good 3rd party lenses that will work with the canon R50? If there are, which do you recommend?

FYI, I'm not planning to buy a lot of equipment, I just want an extra lens other than the RF 50mm 1.8 and the standard kit lens.
I'm planning to get into videography later in the future but since I'm starting my journey, I thought it best to learn the basics of photography and videography.

Thank you in advance for your help.

3 REPLIES 3

Bazsl
Rising Star

You can use EF mount lenses from any manufacturer with an EF to RF adapter. Unfortunately, Canon will not allow third parties to make RF mount lenses.

There are 3rd Party Sigma RF-S lenses.

-Demetrius
Bodies: EOS 40D (Retired) & EOS 5D Mark IV (Current)
Lenses: EF Trinity, EF 50mm F/1.8 STM, EF 70-210mm F/4 (Brought out of Retirement) & EF 85mm F/1.8 USM
Speedlites: 470EX-AI & 600EX II-RT

Tronhard
VIP
VIP

Hi and welcome to the forum:
I think you are wise concentrating on skills, but since your question is about 3rd-party lenses I shall specifically address that question.

With regards to the statement by @Baszl that is not quite true any more.
In the last 3 months Canon announced do allow 3rd-party lens makers to create lenses with the full suite of AF and stabilization, but only currently for the RF-S lens system and on a case-by-case basis - a policy the also share with Nikon.
Since the R50 is an APS-C camera there is already a set of Sigma lenses that are now coming available, as announced by Sigma: SIGMA Canon RF Mount lenses | Contents | SIGMA Corporation (sigma-global.com)
The Sigma 18-55 is the first to be on the market and, as you can see, from their site, we should be seeing the other lenses indicated, plus likely more from both Sigma and Tamron in the future.

These lenses are superior to their native Canon equivalents in aperture and image quality, and are also very small and light, which is great for both photography and videography.  Although the price is greater, but you get what you pay for - if the intent it for quality, they are certainly the way to go right now.
Sigma's first Canon RF lens! 18-50mm f/2.8 DC DN 'C' (youtube.com)
Note this video was shot using the much more demanding 32MP sensor on the EOS R7, the 24MP sensor on the R50 should actually be even better in terms of image quality.

cheers, TREVOR

The mark of good photographer is not what they hold in their hand, it's what they hold in their head;
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris
Announcements