cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Battery Drain When Using RF Lenses On R Bodies

katgal
Contributor

I have an R3 and an R5.  Due to my having a number of L-series EF lenses, I didn’t rush out and purchase an RF lens.  I’ve had no trouble using the adaptor.  Then, recently, I had the chance to get an RF 100-500mm lens.  Since getting it, I’ve used both my R3 and my R5 cameras with the lens.  In no time, either camera begins to experience rapid battery drain.  This issue doesn’t occur at all when using the R bodies with any of my EF lenses.  Does anyone else experience this?  If so, are there solutions?

10 REPLIES 10

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

I have an R5 C. It's somewhat similar.

What firmware is your R5 running?

Are you using a Canon brand adapter?  I assume you are, but have to ask

I own the RF100-500 a Control Ring adapter and a handful of EF lenses still.  I don't have any discernable battery drain.  

Do you have Wi-Fi or Bluetooth enabled?  Is GPS turned on Mode1 on the R3?

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.7.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Both camera bodies have been updated to the latest firmware as of a couple of weeks ago, and I am only using a Canon-made adapter.  I definitely am not having this issue when using any of my EF lenses.  It’s weird.  I don’t believe I have WiFi or airport mode turned on, but I’ll definitely check.  Thanks for the heads up.  I hope that’s the issue because it’s very annoying.

JackPangolin
Apprentice

Greetings.

I have faced a similar case ever since I purchased my first RF lens (135mm F/1.8 IS USM) for my R5, 9 months ago.

To this date I had only used several EF lenses mounted with the official EF/RF Canon adaptor. No battery drain was to be reported.

But with the brand new RF 135mm, I've been facing pretty steep battery drains, even when no screen is on (neither EVF nor back screen)

Interestingly, a constant noise, low but notable, like a purring, can be heared from out of the lens. No such noise can be heard with any of my EF lenses.

I turned off IS and AF but the noise and the battery drain remain. (also WIFI is turned off and airplane mode is on)

I guess this has something to do with some motor being in "active sleeping state" for quick reaction whenever needed (diaphragm motor ?) Or maybe a dysfunction in IS management ?

Yet the battery drain is quite annoying.

The 135mm lens is my sole RF lens to date. Testing another RF / IS lens could be interesting.

Further details: my R5's firmware is up to date (2.0.0) and so is the lens' one, as far as I know (1.0.2)

I use official Canon batteries and whatever one I use, the issue remains.

Have you found out any lead to this problem ? Does it happen with any of your RF lenses, featuring IS or not ?

I humbly have no clue as to what to do to fix it.

Thanks a lot.

PS: please forgive my wording, as english is not my native language.

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

Mirrorless bodies like to constantly auto focus, but only with mirrorless lenses..  Disable “Lens Drive When AF Impossible” and “Preview AF”.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Thanks a lot for your reply, but I find this lead unlikely.

I never use continuous AF. Moreover I assure that the noise I hear is clearly independant from the AF motors.

AF motors are clearly sleeping as long as I keep my finger from the shutter button, yet the battery drain issues.

And last but not least, the problem remains when I turn AF off. (and IS)

I've tried to disable “Lens Drive When AF Impossible” as you suggested but the battery drain remains real. My R5 is standing next to me, turned on. AF and IS off. I don't handle it in any way. EVF and back screen are off, but I check the battery level every minute. There's almost a 1% loss per minute.

I have no such loss with my EF lenses. Weird isn't it ?

Thanks again.

“ I never use continuous AF. Moreover I assure that the noise I hear is clearly independant from the AF motors. “ 

The factory defaults for both settings is for them to be enabled. 

JackPangolin
Apprentice

The more I think of it, the more I believe that this problem comes from the IS motors.

Even when IS is disabled, IS motors keep the inner lenses "up and running" (thus the noise I hear) and this alone takes a big share on the battery, due to the massive inner lenses we're speaking of.

RF 100-500mm lens, as intially mentioned by @katgal, and RF 135mm lens are just big boys which need a constant battery share to simply remain active.

And we'll just have to sustain that.

Thanks again.

The most logical conclusion should be Image Stabilization isn’t the problem. Your descriptions are consistent with the default camera behavior. 

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

Thats the difference then.  My R5 C doesn't have IBIS, but I have lens IS and Lens Drive When AF Impossible set to enable 100% of the time.  I do not use continuous AF ever.  I suspect my next body will have IBIS and maybe then I'll see what you are mentioning.  Battery life on my R5 C for stills is very good.  Its the Cinema side that chews up battery.  I have no noise or drain unless I press the shutter halfway or AF On.    

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.7.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Announcements