cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Autofocus not working in (M) Manual mode, but works in all other modes

bpuck03
Apprentice

I have an EOS 70D, all my lenses are on autofocus, but when in Manual mode, my lenses won’t autofocus. I’ve changed the AI settings from one-shot, AI-servo, and AI-Focus, and it still doesn’t autofocus. This isn’t an issue on the other modes I’ve used (Av, A+, and A+ w/o flash). I have also tried the different auto and manual focus point modes in different lighting, still nothing. Is there any way that it’s a setting that I’m missing?

4 REPLIES 4

John_Q
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hello bpuck03. Based on the fact that you are able to AF in Auto mode and not Manual mode, does sound like it's something with the settings that are probably causing the issue. Try resetting the camera to default settings. Put the camera in P mode, hit MENU. In the MENU, scroll over to the yellow Wrench tab #4 and you should see Clear all camera settings there.

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

I assume that you are half pressing the shutter button and the camera does not focus.  

What happens when you press the button the rear panel [AF-ON]?  If the camera focuses, then your camera is probably set for BBF, and you need to reset Custom Controls.

Press the [Q] button.  One of the icons is for Custom Controls.  Go into that menu and reset it.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

That fixed it! Thank you!

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

Anytime you get unexpected actions that you can't figure out, resetting the camera is the answer.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements