cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Any help about shooting in cold. (Alaska/Canada in Jan) 5D MKII

Bmatlock
Apprentice

Will be shooting stills for a movie shooting Jan. in Alaska/Canada.  Found a few things on about shooting in cold weather (Extra batteries, don't bring directly inside without warming, put in plastic bag and let warm up slowly when you do bring inside, etc.) but any help would be appreciated. Shooting 5D MKII.  I seem to remember something about Canon having a cold weather battery pack you could put next to your body, run a cord down your sleeve to the camera and was wondering if something like this existed for the 5D MKII.  Feel free to contact me directly at:    stillsphotographer@gmail.com

Bill Matlock

13 REPLIES 13

Okay, did some checking with my colleague and he did have some problems with external buttons, but then he simply went to the menu and LCD and changed settings in that manner. But the camera worked. Admittedly, leaving such electronics out in freezing temperatures for a very long time like that isn't something most of us ever consider doing, and this fellow is included. Even our cars give us fits here in the really cold times, especially newer cars and trucks with all the electronic do-dads! 

Thanks for replying.  Unfortunately, shooting film is not an option.  Stills for feature films are all digital, haven't loaded a roll of film in over 8 years and, even if I still had a film camera, studio wouldn't accept it.  Just the way it is. 

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions.  I think I'm about as prepared as I can be, gonna be an adventure.

Bill Matlock

I'm from Canada. Don't waste your time with the plastic bag route. They are a pain. The whole secret is to keep your gear cold until you want to warm it up. Warm it up slowly. When I shoot in cold weather I keep my camera bag outside as well. When I come in for hot chocolate I put my camera in the bag and when I get in I throw my parka over it. I don't want it to warm up if I'm going back out.    

When I get home same thing. Gear stays in the bag for several hours. You can wrap the bag with a blanket.  I have shot in -32 celsius plus a windchill. 

This is pretty extreme. I have never had my gear look like this. It was the conditions.     

He was shooting in the clouds on top of that mountain. No wonder his camera looked like that.

http://www.petapixel.com/2012/12/20/frozen-camera-what-a-dslr-looks-like-when-shooting-in-a-25c-envi...

There's another discussion on cold winter shooting here.

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1176460

"A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought."
Announcements