cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Advice for shooting an engagement at the beach with full sunshine

C0dename_SM0KEY
Contributor

I was asked by a friend to shoot his upcomning engagement photos at the beach. The time he reserved for this picturesque spot is high noon, and unless it's going to be a cloudy day, I am expecting full and harsh sunshine. I've never shot in this kind of environment before with the moving sea and full sunshine, so I have a couple of questions for the experts as far as camera settings and tools.

Camera: Canon EOS R5

Lens: RF 24-70mm f2.8 IS USM

1) What is the best AF setting? Subjects will not be standing still other than the actual proposal part. I think I should use AF Servo plus face tracking. Thoughts?

2) At high noon, the sun will be almost right above us, so where should I ask the to-be groom to position his to-be bride without them squinting?

3) Equipment. ND filter, polarizer, or combination...or no filter at all? Could Lr handle all the jobs of the filter for photos in this super bright setting?

4) Groom has expressed interest in a close up of the ring. Can the RF 24-70mm f/2.8 IS handle that kind of macro? Should I go rent a dedicated macro lens? If so, which one?

5) I read that a flash helps to brighten faces in such conditions. Thoughts?

Thanks and be well.

4 REPLIES 4

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

I would do Average WB. ISO at 100 to start.  P mode to start. Raw and Photoshop to edit. I would get there a bit early or the previous day with my laptop and LR/PS. Without being there, nobody here can give you exact settings.

I never do an important shoot without knowing and going in blind if at all possible. Check it out beforehand.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

" Equipment. ND filter, polarizer, or combination...or no filter at all?"

No filters. Photoshop, or Lightroom will probably work, too!

"Should I go rent a dedicated macro lens?" "Lens: RF 24-70mm f2.8 IS USM"

No, the RF 24-70mm f2.8 IS USM and PS should work well, or Lightroom will probably work, too!

EB

rs-eos
Elite
Elite

Agreed with going to the location beforehand.

I wouldn't rule out ND filters.  They are useful two-fold in such very bright conditions.  First, you can keep your aperture wider open if desired.  Second, if you plan to add fill-flash, ND filters can help out to keep your shutter speed within sync range (no need to deal with high-speed-sync which can demand so much more flash power in such bright conditions)

Consider a scrim if possible.  Having the couple under softer light would probably be best.

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

Ricky's comment begs to ask whether this is a staged event or is it spontaneous? If it is staged you can bring and use some additional equipment. Shoot, "do overs"! 

Howerer, if it is impromptu that is very much a different case.

EB
Announcements