cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AEB, EC and Auto ISO

pamelawsecurity
Apprentice

Hello - 

I shoot Manual mode on the 7D II and make my ISO dynamic so that I can shoot wildlife in varying light. I prefer to use Exposure Compensation at a specific value so that I can shoot in low light conditions with my 100-400 lens. However, I'm unable to get AEB to turn off so that I can use EC while I'm shooting Manual.  I've turned the camera off and on numerous times so I know it's not a reset thing, per the manual instructions. As soon as I go off Auto ISO, it immediately goes back to AEB cutting off my EC usage. Obviously when I'm shooting fast-moving wildlife, I don't have the time to waste on bracketed shots so this is maddening.  I appreciate any help you can provide.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@pamelawsecurity wrote:
Thank you so much for your insights. So this is what is so puzzling - HDR and Multiole Exp’s are both *disabled*. But before I reset to factory settings and have to re-time everything, I’m starting to suspect the problem and would love your thoughts: I have recently programmed the back dial (around Set) to allow me to dynamically change ISO so I can leave my Tx and Ap set for the day’s shooting conditions. (I’ve programmed the other from dial to change Tx as I need or use Quick Menu). It appears as soon as I spin the back dial to adjust the ISO off of Auto, AEB takes over and my ability to control EC goes away. So can I NOT have ability to control *both* ISO and EC dynamically as I wish? And if this is the case, is this a limitation of this camera or is this generally the case with all? Thanks again for taking the time to help me!

Custom controls have a separate reset function.  The reset to factory defaults option will not reset them.

Yeah, I would reset that rear rotary dial back to its' default behavior.  You can use the [ISO] button on the top of the camera, instead.  It has a dimple in the center of it, so you can feel it out and learn to know which button is the correct one.

As I described above, you can use the [SET] button to dial in EC when you have ISO Auto set in Manual mode.  The ISO button on the top of the camera would still be available to dial in a specific ISO setting.  The rear dial controls Aperture, which is the default behavior.  And, the Main Dial controls Shutter Speed, which is the default behavior.  The only programmming change I make to the camera is the [SET] button, which controls EC in all Creative modes.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

Have you tried going into the Quick Menu and turning off AEB?  The only way for it to be turned on is if you turned it on, and maybe forgot about it..  Resetting the camera back to factory defaults should reset the AEB, too.

However, it really sounds like you may have HDR or Mulitiple exposure modes enabled.  A camera reset should reset those optional shooting features.  They can be access on Red Camera Menu 3.  Both features have the option to reset after one use, or to stay enabled.  I suggest that you make sure both are disabled.

I have found the most convenient way to quickly adjust EC when shooting in manual mode is to use the [SET] button.  You must first do two things, though.  First, the camera must be in Manual shooting mode with ISO set to Auto.  Next, you have to go into Custom Controls and program the [SET] button for EC.  You can access Custom Controls from the Quick Menu screen.

When you have it properly set up, the Main Wheel controls shutter speed.  The rear rotary dial controls aperture. And, by pressing and holding the [SET] button while rotating the Main Wheel will dial in EC.  Hope this helps.

pamelawsecurity
Apprentice
Thank you so much for your insights. So this is what is so puzzling - HDR and Multiole Exp’s are both *disabled*. But before I reset to factory settings and have to re-time everything, I’m starting to suspect the problem and would love your thoughts: I have recently programmed the back dial (around Set) to allow me to dynamically change ISO so I can leave my Tx and Ap set for the day’s shooting conditions. (I’ve programmed the other from dial to change Tx as I need or use Quick Menu). It appears as soon as I spin the back dial to adjust the ISO off of Auto, AEB takes over and my ability to control EC goes away. So can I NOT have ability to control *both* ISO and EC dynamically as I wish? And if this is the case, is this a limitation of this camera or is this generally the case with all? Thanks again for taking the time to help me!

I believe when you set the control dial to adjust ISO it is only acting in that mode when metering is active.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

@jrhoffman75 - that could be also. I didn't see anything in the guide that said that but I could see how it may be the case. Thanks for the input!

@pamelawsecurity wrote:

Custom controls have a separate reset function.  The reset to factory defaults option will not reset them.

Yeah, I would reset that rear rotary dial back to its' default behavior.  You can use the [ISO] button on the top of the camera, instead.  It has a dimple in the center of it, so you can feel it out and learn to know which button is the correct one.

As I described above, you can use the [SET] button to dial in EC when you have ISO Auto set in Manual mode.  The ISO button on the top of the camera would still be available to dial in a specific ISO setting.  The rear dial controls Aperture, which is the default behavior.  And, the Main Dial controls Shutter Speed, which is the default behavior.  The only programmming change I make to the camera is the [SET] button, which controls EC in all Creative modes.

Thanks @Waddizzle - 

Ok - then it's simply "reprogramming" me - i.e. my muscle memory, to start anew with how I like to shoot. At least it can be done so I'm happy it's possible to have control over both. Thanks again!

@pamelawsecurity wrote:

Thanks @Waddizzle - 

Ok - then it's simply "reprogramming" me - i.e. my muscle memory, to start anew with how I like to shoot. At least it can be done so I'm happy it's possible to have control over both. Thanks again!

You're welcome!  I do not change ISO very often.  I do most of my shooting in M mode with ISO Auto.  I only find need to adjust EC from time to time.  I have found the default Evaluative Metering mode to be more than sufficient for 99% of my handheld shooting.

Announcements