cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

90d: Photos over exposed (double iso) when shooting in non live view mode

vizualequalizer
Contributor

I have a Canon eos 90d and the photos are over exposed when shooting in non live view mode (when switching back-and-forth between live view and viewfinder modes; the ISO doubles), or another words looking through the viewfinder, the ISO will double. There's no exposure addition or subtraction on exposure stops. I am confused please help!

39 REPLIES 39

"I was just about to upload pics for this thread, when in fact, the focus points are different, ..."

This means you did not do the test as outlined.  You must follow these instructions precisely.

Here they are again...

"... reset the 90D.  Set it to P mode, fix ISO to 200. Use just the center focus point and One shot. WB set to daylight. Now go outside on a sunny day a take several general shots.  Make sure you have some vertical lines in some of them. Like trees, a fence or buildings, etc.  It the 90D makes the great photos it is capable of the camera is working correctly.  This means you set something incorrectly for the photos in question."

"I don't have a rocket blower or the like..."

It's not a bad idea to have one but this is not your problem right now.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

In case no one looked at the link I posted above, here is some information posted by our forum member ray-uk on the DPReview site

"There has been discussion lately about viewfinder and live view metering givin different results, a look at the cameras specification goes some way to explaining this:

80D Viewfinder metering

metering from 7,560 pixel 63 zone meter sensor
Evaluative metering linked to all AF points
Partial metering, 6% of viewfinder centre
Spot metering, 3.8% of viewfinder centre
Centre weighted average metering

80D Live view metering

metering from 24.2 megapixels image sensor
Evaluative metering 315 zones
Partial metering 6.1% of live view screen
Spot metering 2.6% of live view screen

-- hide signature --

7D Mk II Viewfinder metering

metering from150,000 pixel 252 zone meter sensor
Evaluative metering linked to all AF points
Partial metering, 6% of viewfinder centre
Spot metering, 1.8% of viewfinder centre

7D Mk II Live view metering

metering from 20.2 megapixels image sensor
Evaluative metering 315 zones
Partial metering 10% of live view screen
Spot metering 2.6% of live view screen

--------------------------------------------------------

When photographing a scene that has various dark and light spots it stand to reason that the 2 systems may well give different results depending on where the dark and bright spots are. It looks from the above information that evaluative metering could be more error prone in this respect and centre weighted could give the more consistent results.

I think this just highlights the fact that automated metering, although good in most circumstances still requires a little intelligent input from the user."

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

"When photographing a scene that has various dark and light spots it stand to reason that the 2 systems may well give different results depending on where the dark and bright spots are. It looks from the above information that evaluative metering could be more error prone in this respect and centre weighted could give the more consistent results.

I think this just highlights the fact that automated metering, although good in most circumstances still requires a little intelligent input from the user."

The cited "above information" are specs.  That is an extraodinary conclusion to reach just by looking at specs alone.  

Personally, I have found Evaluative Metering to be very quite good at metering a subject or a scene.  Canon has selected it to be the default metering mode because it works, and it works very well.  It is not "error prone" as the article suggests.

"The right mouse button is your friend."

"I did do outdoor testing and the same issue. I should have thought of this earlier, but I tested it with my Rebel 1Ti and have the same issue although it is much less exagerated, only about 1/3 - 2/3 stop difference."

OK fine, if you did the outdoor test and saw a 1/3 stop, very hard to see BTW, I would consider this normal.  If you saw a 2 or 3 stop difference that is not normal and I would suspect the camera or lens is faulty. (After doing the full reset and the basic settings I outlined?)

The next step, without changing any of those basic settings, you need to try a different lens. Do the daylight test again.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Also FYI. Shooting in M mode, dialing in my own numbers, once set, if dialed in according to live view (correct exposure stop at 0) then once in OVF the exposure stops indicate a full 2 stops lower. That has my curiosity in gear.

Cleared all the camera settings and still OVF adding +2 stops compared to live view. I don't get it.

Try a different scene, maybe go outside and use your home as a subject. The current scene is quite challenging with extreme brightness differences.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

Thank you much for the help, not sure these pictures posted correctly, I saved them using DPP4 to included EXIF data, but how are you going to see that from the files posted in my answer? Do I need to include the data separately? Thanks

@vizualequalizer wrote:
Thank you much for the help, not sure these pictures posted correctly, I saved them using DPP4 to included EXIF data, but how are you going to see that from the files posted in my answer? Do I need to include the data separately? Thanks

I do not see any EXIF shooting data.  

The images are extremely small, too.  Using a non-Canon lens should not be a factor, not at least when it comes to exposure.  One seems quite over exposed by at least one stop, while the other is under exposed by at least one stop.  Hard to tell with such small images.  

Try this experiment outdoors, if you can.  You could be looking at a light flicker issue associated with the artificial lighting. 

"The right mouse button is your friend."

When you convert and save try these settings:

Screenshot 2020-12-05 195114.jpg

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

Announcements