cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

90d: Photos over exposed (double iso) when shooting in non live view mode

vizualequalizer
Contributor

I have a Canon eos 90d and the photos are over exposed when shooting in non live view mode (when switching back-and-forth between live view and viewfinder modes; the ISO doubles), or another words looking through the viewfinder, the ISO will double. There's no exposure addition or subtraction on exposure stops. I am confused please help!

39 REPLIES 39

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

If you have not already downloaded a copy of the full User Manul from Canon Support, then I suggest that you do so.

Without knowing what lens are using, what your camera is looking at, what camera settings you are using, there is no way anyone could possibly advise you on what is going wrong for you.

Please try to provide enough informatiuon so that someone else can duplicate your problem.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

Are you in Auto ISO mode?

Forum member ray-uk posted this on DPReview a few years ago:

Viewfinder vs live view metering, the facts.: Canon EOS 7D / 10D - 90D Talk Forum: Digital Photograp...

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

Thanks for that post. Not sure if that's the case here, it's good insight.

vizualequalizer
Contributor

My apologies.

I have the Sigma 18-35 F1.8 DC lens. It is in auto ISO mode for all these modes: SCN, A+,P,Tv,Av. I am looking through the manual. I just haven't found out why it seems to overexpose or add exposue/iso when looking through the view finder. My intuition makes me think it's a simple setting somewhere. Thank you for the help, much appreciated.

@vizualequalizer wrote:

My apologies.

I have the Sigma 18-35 F1.8 DC lens. It is in auto ISO mode for all these modes: SCN, A+,P,Tv,Av. I am looking through the manual. I just haven't found out why it seems to overexpose or add exposue/iso when looking through the view finder. My intuition makes me think it's a simple setting somewhere. Thank you for the help, much appreciated.

That setup and camera setting info is a good start.  Could post a sample of each shooting scenario: Live View vs Viewfinder?

What are you photographing?  Are you using a tripod?  What metering mode, and AF mode, is used for Live View?  Same question for shooting through the viewfinder.

When you post the photos, you can use Canon DPP4 software to reduce the files size, and include the EXIF data.  The EXIF data can dell us what is happening. But, there are a couple of things it doesn't tell us, though.  It will tell us "1 Pt AF", but t does not tell us which AF point you sued. 

Thanks for taking the time "Waddizzle" and for the instructions, much appreciated.

I saved them as EXIF JPG using DPP4, hopefully that was in line with what you requested regarding EXIF data.

Both Handheld:

Metering mode for OVF (Optical View Finder) is: evaluative and focus is: AI Focus.

For Live View, metering is: evaluative and for focus: AF 🙂 (Face) + [] (Tracking).

Live View (left or top) vs. OVF (right or bottom).

live viewOVF

Hello.

I can't download these files as JPEG; they show up as an unknown file type only 20kb in size.

I did some experimentation with my camera (a 1D series).

I set a fixed ISO of 1600 in Av mode, thus the only variable would be shutter speed. Evaluative metering for both modes. Center single point focus for both modes.

One mode gave a SS of 1/13, the other 1/20.

That seems to support the DPReview post,

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

Some other observations; they won't necessarily affect what you are seeing now, but they are things to consider.

1. you stated you used AI Focus mode. That is an "inteligent" mode in the camera that is supposed to switch between One Shot and I Servo depending on whether the camera detects motion. It tends to not be a very effective mode. First, AI Servo is really for situations where the subject is moving towards or away from the camera. It compensates for the fact that if the subject is moving the focus distance could change between when the shutter button is pushed and when the shutter actually fires. Outside of wildlife, sports and kids playing in the backyard you really don't need AI Servo.

Similarly in Live View - you are using people, face, eye detection. None of those are in your subject.

Single point, usually center is what you generally want.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

@jrhoffman75 wrote:

Hello.

I can't download these files as JPEG; they show up as an unknown file type only 20kb in size.

I did some experimentation with my camera (a 1D series).

I set a fixed ISO of 1600 in Av mode, thus the only variable would be shutter speed. Evaluative metering for both modes. Center single point focus for both modes.

One mode gave a SS of 1/13, the other 1/20.

That seems to support the DPReview post,

I tried a similar test with a 6D and a Sigma 35mm f/1.4 Art.  I shot at f/4 and ISO 800.  One had 1/8 SS and 1/10 SS.  The camera has no anti-flicker setting.  I tried the same test with a 6D2 and got 1/6 and 1/8 SS.  In both cases, the slower SS was Live View.

Announcements