cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

7D Mk2 Not Recognized by Windows 10

damgood
Contributor

First: I am in I.T.. I have Googled & Binged many troubleshooting options, including all possible "turn it off & back on", "plug it into another port", & "reinstall the driver" (yes, there is a driver: the MTP driver). I am on Windows 10 (everything on newest updates) 

The camera is simply not there. It doesn't appear in Explorer, none of the software (Bridge, EOS Utility, Lightroom, etc) recognizes that it exists at all. It was working fine, but I joined my work domain which requires making a new user account. After that, nothing. I can't even get the EOS Utility to recognize it over WiFi anymore (that might be due to the domain join, but wired connect should work).

I have tried everythig I can find, including this little nugget: http://bit.ly/2pSeTJl

Please send help & coffee! 😉

Photos: https://flic.kr/damgood
Opinionated Nonsense: https://fb.me/durham.bell
59 REPLIES 59

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend
I have already told you to do. Start EOSU3 manually. But you chose to remove the software.
--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

I'm sorry, but I asked if it needed to be installed but you didn't say it had to be, I thought it was just a sugestion to try it. I will install EOS Utility 3 and see what happens. I did have it installed and the 7D2 still was not recognised. Thanks for helping out.

I installed EOS Utility 3 and still Windows 10 Pro won't recognise the 7D2. BUT it is shown twice in the autoplay list! I'm confused.

SH7_ 1099.jpg

@Isac wrote:

I'm sorry, but I asked if it needed to be installed but you didn't say it had to be, I thought it was just a sugestion to try it. I will install EOS Utility 3 and see what happens. I did have it installed and the 7D2 still was not recognised. Thanks for helping out.

How many times do I have to say it.   You need to manually start the EOS Utility 3.  

Adjusting the “AutoPlay” settings will only confuse things.  I recommend completely deleting the EOS Utility and starting over from the beginning.  Once it is installed, all you need to do is manually start the EOS Utility just one time.

It appears you think I am stupid. I can assure you that I am not. I did uninstall ALL Canon programs and then re-installed EOS Utility 3. I re-booted my PC and the EOS Utility 3 was on my toolbar - so I quit the program and then double clicked the icon to run EOS Utility 3. I connected the Canon EOS 7D Mark II and powered it on. So I did run it manually and it does not detect my Canon 7D Mark II. It does seem this is not going to be solved here, so thank you for your patience. Here are the screen shots.

#1: Turning OFF the EOS Utility 3 program.

SH7_ 1101.jpg

#2: EOS Utility 3 NOT detecting my powered ON Canon EOS 7D Mark II camera and the Icon of EOS Utilty 3.

SH7_ 1103.jpg

Isac:

Uninstall EOS Utility 3 - Reboot computer - and reinstall a fresh EOS Utility 3 copy.

==========================

Here are the steps to create the shortcut of EOS Utility 3 - on your desktop.

1. Hover your mouse on the Start icon (lower left bottom on your screen) and right click.On the sub-menu click on File Explorer.

2. Expand System (C) - (this usually is C:\) and expand Program Files (x86).

3. Expand the Canon folder. Expand EOS Utilty. Click the EU3 folder. The right pane will now show its content

4. Navigate to EOS Utilty 3 and right click to open the sub-menu.

5. Navigate to Senf to - and click on Desktop (create shortcut).

An EOS Utility 3 Shotcut is now created on your desktop.

=========================

Connect your camera using the USB to camera cable. Start EOS Utillity 3 by clicking the shortcut.Download your files to the computer (set up where and what is to be downloaded on EOS Utility 3 program tabs).

Hope this helps.

Paul

Thanks for the series of steps in your instructions - but not needed. I have been using Microsoft software since DOS days. I have written software, built and sold PCs since the 80's and given computer lessons to 100's of people. I do graphic art, photography and Photoshop editing. This problem is obviously caused by something unknown and everyone has been great at trying to unravel the mystery. I am leaning towards a Windows 10 glitch and hope they can get it sorted. Until then I am giving up on trying to fix the problem. Cheers!

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend
The program you showing in your screenshot is “EOS Utility Launcher” you need to manually start “EOS Utility 3”.

There is no icon for it. You must go to the folder where Canon applications are stored and manually start the program While you are there you may want to create a separate shortcut icon for it

Gadgetmandb
Contributor

You will simply not believe how simple the answer is...................

‘’Remove the WiFi card prior to attaching the camera cable which connects to the camera & Computer.”

re attach the camera to computer via canon cable. 

‘’It will now work

I am not using the wi-fi card as mentioned in the OP

Announcements