cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

6d Mark ii - transfer photos and is missing 47 photos

Action916
Apprentice
Hello,
Helping a friend solve this mystery on how to recover her client 47 photos that are missing! She did a 8hr wedding shoot and can't seem to find the end of the ceremony!

Transfer file show as an example: img_112 then skip next to img_159, so 47 of the most important photos disappeared! HELLLP!!

Camera: Canon 6D markii
Comp: Macbook Pro

Memory card used: 64gb Sandisk MicroSD and she used an adapter to insert it in with. (I'm thinking its the memory card issue not writing during this gap).

More details:
When memory card is inside the camera, time differences was 6mins between 112 and 159. When i check transfer file on mac, it was 2 mins difference on time created.

Download easeUS RECOVERY SOFTWARE and did a DEEP SCAN and nothing appear. Same file that pop up that was already on the SD card.

Tried transferring over using a diff macbook and no luck.

Tried transferring directly to LightRoom and no luck.

Check for hidden files and no luck.

ARE WE AT A LOST CAUSE? Can i call this ghost files??
6 REPLIES 6

Ray-uk
Whiz

She should not be using a micro SD card with an adaptor, it can often cause errors like this. Use only full sized SD cards in a camera, leave the micro SDs for a phone.

Ray's reply is spot on.  

This is very simple.  

Try PhotoRec..   Its free.

https://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/PhotoRec

If it can't recover the files, then they don't exist on the media or cannot be recovered in all likelyhood.

**********    Hopefully she'll get lucky.  

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Action916
Apprentice
Yes I given her the lecture that MicroSD shouldn't be used ever again. I will try Photorec so its 3x strikes that we tried. I agree, dont think the data exist since it probably froze up during that gap timeframe. Maybe overheat or something. But thanks guys for your input.

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"Memory card used: 64gb Sandisk MicroSD ..."

I have been a wedding photographer for a very long time.  You already got the lecture about using micro SD cards.  Never!  However, you are still making a grave mistake by using such a large SD card of any kind.  Always use smaller SD cards and change them often.  Its the never put all your eggs in one basket warning.  Get several 16GB or even 8GB cards.  Change them at each different part of the wedding.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

@ebiggs1 wrote:

"Memory card used: 64gb Sandisk MicroSD ..."

I have been a wedding photographer for a very long time.  You already got the lecture about using micro SD cards.  Never!  However, you are still making a grave mistake by using such a large SD card of any kind.  Always use smaller SD cards and change them often.  Its the ne.ver put all your eggs in one basket warning.  Get several 16GB or even 8GB cards.  Change them at each different part of the wedding.

I'm not a wedding photographer; but I've photographed a lot of other important events, and I almost always used two cameras. (I'll bet Ernie does too.) It spared me from having to change lenses and provided at least a rudimentary form of the protection that Ernie urges, since I'm automatically using more than one card. Note that there's nothing wrong with a 64GB card; it's just that en entire event should never be on the same 64GB card.

The principal value of a large card isn't that it keeps you from having to change cards. It's that it makes it easier to leave images on the card while copies of them make their way through your backup procedures.

All that said, a wedding photographer who gets paid big bucks will almost always have an assistant. (Even I did, when I could arrange it.) That also helps to spread the risk around.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

" I almost always used two cameras."

Always, always, Robert, you are 100% correct.  I can guarantee you don't want to have to explain to a new bride just back from her honeymoon that you don't have her photos. Never done that, don't want to.

Funny though that this is brought up right now.  I did a wedding two weeks ago and I gave them their photos and a nice slideshow.  However, several shots of the actual ceremony weren't there!!!!!!!  They are in the slideshow but the jpg are not on the DVD???  Yup, that is panic time.  Long story made somewhat shorter, they were in the "Ready to be written to" folder.  The last place I looked.  For whatever reason Windoze didn't copy them to the DVD.  Although it did copy all the rest.

She had the DVD in her hand that said "Ceremony" on it but it only had half of the shots on it.  I made them new DVDs.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements