cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

6D gave me really blurry photos?

Sophós
Apprentice

Hello everyone.

I'm posting here hoping to find someone who can help me.

I recently got a 6D mark 2 to shoot my videos and it was all fine. Last night I was asked to take some photos during a meeting but I immediatly saw the lack of quality in all of them. I can't explain this absence of details even in the darkest enviroment or with the slowest shutter...

 

 

IMG_7790b.jpg

141 REPLIES 141

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

94E14931-5EE6-440B-9D51-9C7CA7F90C10.jpegWhat lens were you using, and at what focal length?  What were your exposure settings?

 

Do a web search for " depth of field " and " exposure triangle ".  I think your gear seems fine, BTW.  

 

 

 

Look at how the background in the above photo is WAY out of focus.  That's normal.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

This was taken with a old 70-300mm f/4-5.6, 1/200 F4.5 and ISO 12800 and it was a bright stage.. i never pushed the iso so high honestly

 

Edit: i got the same problem with my 50mm f/1.8 lense. This was shot in 1/160 F2 ISO 6400IMG_7420b.jpg

Sorry, I still am not convinced there is anything wrong with your gear.  Explore the web searches that I suggested.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."


@Sophós wrote:

This was taken with a old 70-300mm f/4-5.6, 1/200 F4.5 and ISO 12800 and it was a bright stage.. i never pushed the iso so high honestly

 

Edit: i got the same problem with my 50mm f/1.8 lense. This was shot in 1/160 F2 ISO 6400IMG_7420b.jpg


Only thing wrong with that photo is you forced the camea to underexpose it.

 

Increase the ISO and get a proper exposure.

 

Canon cameras are not 'ISOless' meaning it is better to increase the ISO than try and push the photograph in post processing. 

 

Instead of ISO 6400 you would have been better off with ISO 12800.


TTMartin wrote:

Sophós wrote:

This was taken with a old 70-300mm f/4-5.6, 1/200 F4.5 and ISO 12800 and it was a bright stage.. i never pushed the iso so high honestly

 

Edit: i got the same problem with my 50mm f/1.8 lense. This was shot in 1/160 F2 ISO 6400


 

The EXIF data says you were shooting with a Canon EF 75-300mm f/4-5.6 which is generally regarded as one of Canon's worst performing lenses.

 

That shot was 1/200,  wide open at f/4.5 and135mm, and is actually quite good considering what you have to work with. 

 

 

 

Clipboard01aa.jpg

 

 

 

Mike Sowsun

I get results like this with both my 50mm 1.8 and 100mm 2.8L - it's not their lens. it's something weird with the camera!


@TTMartin wrote:

@Sophós wrote:

This was taken with a old 70-300mm f/4-5.6, 1/200 F4.5 and ISO 12800 and it was a bright stage.. i never pushed the iso so high honestly

 

Edit: i got the same problem with my 50mm f/1.8 lense. This was shot in 1/160 F2 ISO 6400IMG_7420b.jpg


Only thing wrong with that photo is you forced the camea to underexpose it.

 

Increase the ISO and get a proper exposure.

 

Canon cameras are not 'ISOless' meaning it is better to increase the ISO than try and push the photograph in post processing. 

 

Instead of ISO 6400 you would have been better off with ISO 12800.


Both yes and no. Canon sensors  (at least not the latest generation) are ISOless above a certain value. 5DII has the limit above ISO 1600. Just a guess, but I suppose 6D have the limit above 6400.

But that's not the only thing wrong with the photo - areas on his face and hair look really weird, like digitally smoothed where there wasn't enough light. You might be right about using a higher ISO, but that doesn't change the fact that parts of this photo looks weirdly smudged regardless of how dark or light you adjust it.

TTMartin
Authority
Authority

@Sophós wrote:

Hello everyone.

I'm posting here hoping to find someone who can help me.

I recently got a 6D mark 2 to shoot my videos and it was all fine. Last night I was asked to take some photos during a meeting but I immediatly saw the lack of quality in all of them. I can't explain this absence of details even in the darkest enviroment or with the slowest shutter...

 

 

IMG_7790b.jpg


That is a fantastic photo. Make an 8" x 10" print of it and give it to the subject. They'll love it!

Avatar
click here to view the press release
Announcements