cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

[6D] exposure différence between LiveView (well exposed) and Viewfinder (underexposed -+3Ev)

pouloutos
Contributor

Hello everyone,

I have a problem with my 6d. When i am in extremely low light, I have +-3EV between liveview and Viewfinder.

I took pictures with LiveView and viewfinder, and the pictures with viewfinder are underexposed about +-3Ev (with or without the eyepiece), but only in low light conditions. In normal light conditions, the two metering modes are exactly the same. I rebooted with factory settings but the problem still to solve.

For example in AV or P mode, the 6D can show the following settings with the same parameters :

- 0.3 second with Viewfinder => Underexposed +- 3EV

- 1 second with liveview => Well Exposed

Other exemple, with lenscap, 100 isos, f4 :
- Viewfinder 15 seconds
- Liveview 30 seconds + (flashes)

Is there anyone have the same problem or have an idea ?

I Made a litlle Video to explain my Problem :
www.flickr.com/photos/pouloutos/8704349196/

We didn't see finals pictures in the vidéo but, the picture with viewfinder is underexposed about 2-3 Ev.

Thanks for your reply

21 REPLIES 21

hsbn
Whiz

Is the photo come out differently? or just on the back of the LCD.

Can you try this one and let us know:

Go to Menu -> Live View Shooting 1 (RED) -> Exposure Simulation -> DISABLE.

Then try again to see if 2 of them giving the same expsoure, ignore how it dispalys on the LCD.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Weekend Travelers Blog | Eastern Sierra Fall Color Guide

I guess I don't fully understand how you compare the exposure of the viewfinder to the Liveview.

But a couple of notes:

First and foremost, I never trust the image I see on the LCD.  Always use the histogram if you're unsure of your exposure.

Secondly, I wouldn't shoot in P mode when diagnosing a problem, there are too many variable when shooting on full auto.  Use Av, or better yet M.

Lastly, I do find that my 6D exposes a little darker (nowhere near 3 eV) than my 400D did, simply based off the picture on the LCD.  But I found I just needed to recalibrate my judgement of the LCD, and even the histo a little bit.  I just chalked this up to the difference between a dated crop camera and a relatively modern full frame.  I've found I have a lot more room in post to pull things up if I want, and hot highlights aren't quite as hot, which is nice.

Sorry for my english but, the problem is that : automatic exposure underexpose about 3 ev with viewfinder on the final picture versus live View. I only compare pictures on my computer. Histogramm is strongly on the left with viewfinder.

Thanks in advance

that's a different issue then. I miss read your post. Like Skirball set, try M mode.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

@pouloutos wrote:
Sorry for my english but, the problem is that : automatic exposure underexpose about 3 ev with viewfinder on the final picture versus live View. I only compare pictures on my computer. Histogramm is strongly on the left with viewfinder.

Thanks in advance

Hi,

By any chance are you using a manual lens which does not communicate with the camera body?

In such case, the Live View (and viewfinder's metering system) will give you a wrong exposure metering (unless in video mode).

There are some work arounds, but I don't know if the situation you mention is that case.

Regards.

HD Cam Team
Group of photographers and filmmakers using Canon cameras for serious purposes.
www.hdcamteam.com | www.twitter.com/HDCamTeam | www.facebook.com/HDCamTeam

Viewfinder
http://www.flickr.com/photos/pouloutos/8706927094/

Live view
http://www.flickr.com/photos/pouloutos/8706927072/

Same parameters.

Is there anyone can make a little test ? Difference appears when time exposure is nearly 1s.

Thanks.

Romain

Is this a raw or jpe? I cannot seem to replicate the issue with my 6D. is there a way you upload straight out of camera photos to public size like dropbox or something? I just want to look at the full exif data.

Thanks HSBN for your help :

To summarize, the problem is that my camera is underexposing significantly (3 eV) when doing long exposures in the dark, through the viewfinder.
I made a test in M mode, and i tuned parameters (aperture, time, iso) until the meter level is at 0ev. After i switched to liveview with same parameters and meter level indicate -2ev.

After two links to download pictures :
- The underexposed with viewfinder in Av mode :
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B9T0XOdig-RpdjRZeG1POTYxS1E/edit?usp=sharing
- The well ewposed with Live View :
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B9T0XOdig-RpTUlRMkpsMWRvZlk/edit?usp=sharing

I remain at disposal for further

Romain

@pouloutos wrote:
Thanks HSBN for your help :

To summarize, the problem is that my camera is underexposing significantly (3 eV) when doing long exposures in the dark, through the viewfinder.
I made a test in M mode, and i tuned parameters (aperture, time, iso) until the meter level is at 0ev. After i switched to liveview with same parameters and meter level indicate -2ev.

After two links to download pictures :
- The underexposed with viewfinder in Av mode :
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B9T0XOdig-RpdjRZeG1POTYxS1E/edit?usp=sharing
- The well ewposed with Live View :
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B9T0XOdig-RpTUlRMkpsMWRvZlk/edit?usp=sharing

I remain at disposal for further

Romain

Hi,

I checked both pictures. They were taken at same aperture and ISO, but one at 1/4 and the other at 1". And there are some ambient light coming from somewhere.

According to the pictures and this data, you must be using a tripod or some support to avoid blurry shots.

Both are in very dim light conditions which leads me to ask:

Are you covering the viewfinder when metering and shooting? If not, then that's probably the reason of this metering difference and there is no issue on your camera at all.

- When shooting in low light conditions (also in normal light, but in those cases you're usually looking through the viewfinder so your eye should cover it) if you are not putting your eye next to the viewfinder, you MUST cover the viewfinder with the rubber eyepiece cover attached to the camera strap (or anything else).

Please check the User Manual, page 166 (English version).

Otherwise some light will get into the metering system and may make big influence over it. This difference may be even more than 3EV depending on each situation.

In Live View mode this is not likely to happen so noticeably (or at all, but it's also recommended to cover the viewfinder in those lighting conditions).

Hope this helps!

Regards

HD Cam Team
Group of photographers and filmmakers using Canon cameras for serious purposes.
www.hdcamteam.com | www.twitter.com/HDCamTeam | www.facebook.com/HDCamTeam
Announcements