cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

5Dsr Style Settings

hvulpus
Contributor

Hi,

I am about to set off with my 5Dsr on a long shoot of Romanesque churches in France, with special focus upon the fineness of sculptural detail.  My goal is capturing both the sharpness of sculptural detail and the texture or feel of the stone.  I am, however, at somewhat of a loss when it comes to setting the Style.  I notice that among the various options of Auto, Standard, Portrait, Landscape, Fine Detail, Neutral, Faithful, there are subsettings of Sharpness and Contrast, Saturation, and Color Tone.  Under Sharpness there are the categories of Strength, Fineness, and Threshold.  Can anyone on the Forum or the Moderator from Canon explain what these three terms mean in terms of Sharpness? Or, can anyone suggest a custom Setting, as this, too, is possible.  I will be using a tripod and shooting at ISO 100, so no need to worry too much about noise.

Thank you so much.  Howard

3 REPLIES 3

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

@hvulpus wrote:

Hi,

I am about to set off with my 5Dsr on a long shoot of Romanesque churches in France, with special focus upon the fineness of sculptural detail.  My goal is capturing both the sharpness of sculptural detail and the texture or feel of the stone.  I am, however, at somewhat of a loss when it comes to setting the Style.  I notice that among the various options of Auto, Standard, Portrait, Landscape, Fine Detail, Neutral, Faithful, there are subsettings of Sharpness and Contrast, Saturation, and Color Tone.  Under Sharpness there are the categories of Strength, Fineness, and Threshold.  Can anyone on the Forum or the Moderator from Canon explain what these three terms mean in terms of Sharpness? Or, can anyone suggest a custom Setting, as this, too, is possible.  I will be using a tripod and shooting at ISO 100, so no need to worry too much about noise.

Thank you so much.  Howard

Canon Professional eXchange - New Picture Style and Sharpness parameters for Ultra High Resolution

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, M200, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, Lr Classic

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

John ,

Great article. Thank you for posting.  👍

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.7.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Tronhard
VIP
VIP

The EOS 5DsR  is a great camera - I have one myself and with good lenses and the right settings will render excellent results for your purpose.

I would strongly suggest shooting in both RAW and JPG for your shoots.  The article on Picture Styles is excellent and will apply to JPG files, but styles do not apply to RAW images, which record far more detail that allows significantly more adjustment in post production, including bringing out fine details and texture.   In that context, using programs like Photoshop and Lightroom in conjunction with AI programs like deVinci Sharpen AI will have very significant results.

Shooting in both means that you can hedge your bets and you have nothing to lose by doing so.   I would use good-sized cards 64GB if you can and record to both to allow a backup.  Download your images to a computer each day, then format the cards clean in the camera for the next day's shoot.  Use only full-size SD cards (not the micro with adapters - they are unreliable) and well respected brands like Lexar, SanDisk, or Prograde.  Note CF cards are not the same as CF Express cards and the latter will not work on your 5DsR.

cheers, TREVOR

The mark of good photographer is less what they hold in their hand, it's more what they hold in their head;
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris
Announcements