cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

5Diii can't read my CF card

Roppa1014
Apprentice

Hi there , I have a 5Diii and have been takinh pics today, after the shoot I looked at all the pics from the back of the camera. All looked FAB.

Got home and connected the card to my Mac and it says- the disk you inserted was not readable by this computer !!!!!!!

I put the card back in my camera and the camera read -Card 1 cannot be accessed reainstall// etc.

Please can any one help here, The pics were there on the card when looking through the camera , But now cant read the CF card 

3 REPLIES 3

@Roppa1014 wrote:

Hi there , I have a 5Diii and have been takinh pics today, after the shoot I looked at all the pics from the back of the camera. All looked FAB.

Got home and connected the card to my Mac and it says- the disk you inserted was not readable by this computer !!!!!!!

I put the card back in my camera and the camera read -Card 1 cannot be accessed reainstall// etc.

Please can any one help here, The pics were there on the card when looking through the camera , But now cant read the CF card 

Is the capacity of your CF card greater than 128GB? If so, read everything on Page 54 of your 5D3 Instruction Manual.

Do you also have an SD card in yur camera? Maybe your pictures got written there instead. A 5D3 will switch between cards under circumstances not described in the manual.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

amfoto1
Authority

I hate to say it, but I had a memory card go bad and behave exactly the same way. It was brand new, high quality compact flash from a very well known brand. We formatted, it, shot with it and filled it up, the downloaded part of the images to one computer. Removed it from that computer and put it in another.... same messages you're getting. Put it back in the camera.... same thing. Put it back in the first computer that original was able to download from it... same warning.

Tried several image recovery programs I've got, other computers and card readers... never could get any access to read or write from that card again. Can't format it or do anything with it. I set it aside intending to return it for a replacement... then forgot it until after the warranty expired! D'oh!

I hope yours isn't completely bad, like this one was.  The good news is that I've used probably 100 other memory cards over the years and never had another failure like that, and have only very rarely have heard of other people having similar problems.

Unfortunately, it's a good illustration of why I won't use really big memory cards. Too many "eggs in one basket". For safe-keeping I use cards that hold about 250 or, at most, 500 images... and just swap out for fresh cards when needed. That way, if a card goes bad or falls overboard or goes through the laundry in a jeans pocket, I haven't lost a whole day's shoot.

Alan Myers
San Jose, Calif., USA
"Walk softly and carry a big lens."
GEAR: 5DII, 7D(x2), 50D(x3), some other cameras, various lenses & accessories
FLICKR & EXPOSUREMANAGER 

"...  it's a good illustration of why I won't use really big memory cards"

Yes it is.  I also don't use big CF cards.  16gb seems about right.  It also seems lke this happens to Macs more than Windoze machines.  However, you might not have saved anything on the CF or SD.

The LCD is great because it allows you to quickly preview a shot before you take it, as well as show you the picture you have taken.  If you shoot RAW your camea makes a jpg thumbnail to view since you can not view RAW files.

If you’re taking images of a special event verify the pictures on a laptop before the event ends. Don’t wait until the next day when you have left to go home.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements