cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

5D Mark IV firmware 1.2.1: Cannot import pictures from Canon to my iPad Pro 2018 iOS 13.1.2

SpiderWoW
Contributor

Its about importing to an iPad Pro 2018 (NOT A PC):

1. Plugging Canon EOS Mark IV with latest firmware (1.2.1 from sep 2019) and 2 cardslots directly in through USB cable and official Apple USB-A -> USB-C adapter -- photo app opened in iOS 12 but import tab never shows up - now with latest iPadOS 13.1.2 it got worse - the photo app does not even start . after starting it manually there is no import button
  2. the device/cam does also not show up in the files app as a cardreader or other cams do
  3. its the same if 1 or 2 cards are inside the cam
  4. wifi is disabled
  5. dual pixel raw is off
  6. i tested also with other Canon EOS Cameras and it works fine with those

- Canon EOS 7D

- Canon EOS R

- Canon Powershot 100 S

i am not interessted in workarrounds like using a card reader !!

19 REPLIES 19

Anonymous
Not applicable

Is WIFI disabled in the camera? See page 572 in the manual.

sure (its draining the battery to fast . i only turn it on when using canons app on my phone for transfer in the "field")

Anonymous
Not applicable
You can't have a WIFI connection and use the USB connection at the same time. (page 572 in manual).

as i wrote . its disabled!

you missread i guess

@SpiderWoW wrote:

as i wrote . its disabled!

you missread i guess

5DIV's post appeared within a minute or two of yours, so they may not have even seen your response.   It appears that this is very frustrating for you, as I can imagine it would be for me, but we are all trying to help you here...

I have a 5DIV, but I remove the card from my camera to upload images - it's just what I prefer.  I was, however, an IT analyst, so the next logical question is to ask if it was working before the firmware update?  .I suspect from your comments that it was, but it pays to be certain.

If so, possibly the best thing to do is Contact Canon support, they will have the technical expertise to help you with this, considering it is related specifically a firmware update.  

cheers, TREVOR

"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

no it was also not working with former firmwares and ios

but only with this camera

usb connection is working fine with pc though

yes its very frustrating and there also a bunch of old threads from other ppl for this topic (closed)

its rediculous that especialy the 2 pro products (they wanna be) not working together or one of the 2 parties just tests it out

i was searching for canon support long time ago but that was the only "suitabe" forum i found hoping that canon also reads here 

I just confirmed that my T5i and 1D X connect to an iPad with iOS12 and open the Photos app for import.

Also confirmed that neither camera elicits any response when connected to an iPad with iOS13.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

Thanks for clarifying that point about the firmware update specifically..  I am sympathetic and sorry to learn of your issue.

I understand that Canon support monitor this site, so I am hoping someone from there will step in at this point and contact you. If they have not already done so,

Another thing you might want to try is to approach it from the Apple side of things.  The fact that a change in the OS has made things worse seems to point to an issue with Apple rather than the Canon download software if that has not changed. This seems to be confirmed by the post from John that he too has experienced the same issue on different cameras with this Mac specific OS version.

cheers, TREVOR

"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

I'm away from my iPad so I can't check this, but I found this on line:

Common reasons your iPad or iPhone is not connecting to external storage

• Powered drives and even some non-powered drives only work when the device is connected to power.
  • The format on your external drive is wrong or incompatible with iOS 13 and iPadOS.
  • You need to shut down your iPhone or iPad, then connect the external drive before powering it back on.
  • The permission settings for your USB accessory are wrong, check them in the Settings app.
  • You need a special connection, cable, or adapter to make your drive work.
John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic
Announcements