cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

5D Mark IV Main Dial Issue & More

Bebop
Apprentice

You can count me in as another person with problems with my 5D mark iv. I've only just joined this forum as I have been searching for answers. 

My camera has not locked up (yet), however the front dial by the shutter button is behaving strangely. It often takes several clicks to move to the next value when selecting shutter speed and in the menu system, it may take several clicks to get to the next menu, or sometimes it jumps menus, or even goes in the opposite direction.

I bought it 2 yrs and 2 months ago and it has a shutter count of 18,000.

Another odd thing I noticed today. When I tried to view images on the CF card I got a strange white line along one side, and just black - it was an empty card. The SD card (also empty) came up with the 'no image' message. I reformatted the card (again) and this time it did come up with the 'no image' message.

I do vaguely remember having a problem with it once before, a long time ago. I think removing the battery sorted it on that occasion. I cannot remember the issue, but I think the camera was completely unusable.  

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Are you here asking for advice?

What I would do??  Contact Canon. 

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Are you here asking for advice?

What I would do??  Contact Canon. 

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Thanks ebiggs1 and shadowsports. I am in the UK and have contacted Canon UK . They have got back to me and told me I need to send it in for repair. 

I was harbouring a little hope that it was a firmware issue. 

My main reason for posting was just to log it as another 5D mk 4 with a problem as one person here appeared to be collecting data on that. I confess I was a little unsure though how to progress as I've never had a problem with a body before - rather disappointing to say the least. 

I have the exact same issue, tried firmware in case it was that as the problem seems electronic, I wonder if this is a design flaw?. 

HI !

I having the same issue with my Mark IV !
Could you find the solution?
Thank you !
Regards

"I was harbouring a little hope that it was a firmware issue."

Reply to the two new posters, this is not a FW issue so don't try to reinstall the FW.  Never, never install FW on a malfunctioning camera.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

"I having the same issue with my Mark IV !
Could you find the solution?"

Yes, there is a solution Call Canon 1 (800) 652-2666

EB

Spoke to canon and not really a solution, they charge you almost 600 USD to fix that, seems like a flawed design as so many people have issues with this and not only the IV but also on the 5D MKIII. Disappointed with Canon over the last couple of years and slowly moving away from them to Sony 

"I have the exact same issue,  ..."

Call Canon 1 (800) 652-2666

EB

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

Call Canon 1 (800) 652-2666

EB
Announcements