cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

30D will not focus or take pictures in AF

bethyherself
Apprentice

I just bought a 30D to learn on.  When I got it home I realized that my camera won't focus in AF and obviously then will not let me take a picture.  It works fine in MF.  It came with the 18-55mm kit lens.  Sometimes it doesn't say anything, but I have also gotten "busy" in the viewfinder and "Error 99" on the LCD.

I have tried removing the batteries, CF card and lens overnight, resetting the factory settings on the camera and I'm not sure what to try next or if I just bought a lemon.

3 REPLIES 3

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

First we need to know what is at fault, The camera, the lens or you!

Do you have a different lens to try on it?  Do so, first.  Does it work?  Do you have access to a different camera?  Try the lens on it?  Good or bad?

Now for the 'you' in this equation.  First you might try cleaning the electrical contacts on the lens and the camera.  Just to be safe.  Are you in a place with enough light?  Go outside in bright daylight and try.  Are you sure you are not too close?  Try on a subject that is 10 feet or so away.  Does the subject have plenty of contrast?  The camera will not focus on a blank wall or the blue sky type thing.

If this doesn't work, can you return it?  If, yes, do so today.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

I just tried it with another lens and it works fine.  So if the issue is my lens, is the solution to clean the lens? 

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend
Probably not but give it a try. What can you loose?
Get a qtip and alcohol. Be very gentle. The contacts are gold plated and fragile.
EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements