cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

1DX Mk II firmware 1.1.6

buffalobreath
Contributor

I'm still running version 1.0.0.  Has anyone uploaded the new firmware?  From the details provided, it's improvements appear limited while the drawbacks appear constricting:

Fixes a phenomenon in which the camera may not function normally when images are simultaneously displayed
on the camera’s LCD monitor and an external monitor (via HDMI output).

1. Once the EOS-1D X Mark II is updated to Version 1.1.2 (or later), it cannot be restored to a previous firmware
version (Version 1.0.0 to 1.0.2).

2. Camera settings files created using a camera running Firmware Version 1.0.2 (or earlier) cannot be used on a
camera running Firmware Version 1.1.2 (or later).

3. Please use the latest EOS Utility version with the EOS-1D X Mark II after the camera has been updated to
Firmware Version 1.1.2 (or later). The latest version of EOS Utility can be downloaded from Canon’s Web site.
EOS Utility Version 3.5.00 or later support cameras running Firmware Version 1.1.2 (or later)

4. Accompanying functional improvements of Firmware Version 1.1.2 (or later), the instructional manual has
been revised. The latest version of the instruction manual can be downloaded from Canon’s Web site, so please
download the instruction manual together with the new firmware.

5. When using Version 4.7.10 (or earlier) of Digital Photo Professional to edit JPEG/RAW images captured with a
camera updated to Firmware Version 1.1.4 (or later), some of the Exif data may be deleted. In addition,
chromatic aberration correction, peripheral illumination correction, distortion correction, and Digital Lens
Optimizer cannot be used when processing RAW images captured using a TS-E lens (TS-E17mm F4L, TSE24mm
F3.5L II, TS-E50mm F2.8L Macro, TS-E90mm F2.8L Macro, or TS-E135mm F4L Macro). Please be
sure to update Digital Photo Professional to Version 4.7.20 (or later) before performing image processing.

Opinions?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

I read the manual in depth and it appears AF microadjustment IS saved as one of the settings.  So you can keep those settings safe on a card.

I put mine in a spreadsheet for future reference in case I need to re-enter the values.

Rodger

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12

wq9nsc
Authority
Authority

I was running 1.1.3 and I did the update to 1.1.6.  There have been several major updates since your original version and I would definitely update since you are still running 1.0.0  The potential issue for you is you will have to create new settings files but given the very early firmware you are running the benefits from getting all of the interim updates included in the current update will greatly outweigh the hassle of creating new settings files.

The firmware update took somewhere under 10 minutes when I did it and like most software updates the percentage complete showing on the display is of little value in estimating remaining time since at times it will climb very slowly or appear to be stuck and then the completion bar will jump 10 or 15 percentage points.  It is VERY important to start with a fully charged battery because you don't want the camera to shut down in the middle of an update or it will have to go back to Canon.  You can use either a battery or the AC adapter but for this I would use a battery because a brief power glitch (or a pet running across your power strip) could result in a locked up camera from a failed update.

Be sure to carefully read the instructions from Canon but the key things are to start with a full battery and once you have started the update don't touch anything on the camera until it is finished.

Rodger

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video

Thanks for your recommendations.  I'll jot down my existing camera settings and do the update.  Will I have to redo my lens AF Microadjustment settings?

Mike

@buffalobreathwrote:

Thanks for your recommendations.  I'll jot down my existing camera settings and do the update.  Will I have to redo my lens AF Microadjustment settings?

Mike

Copy them down. (I keep mine in a spreadsheet.) Then if you have to reset them, it's a tedious but straightforward operation.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

@RobertTheFatwrote:

@buffalobreathwrote:

Mike

Copy them down. (I keep mine in a spreadsheet.) Then if you have to reset them, it's a tedious but straightforward operation.

A 1D Series should be able to save its’ settings to its memory card.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

AF micro-adjustment isn't part of the settings file because the primary idea behind these is you can move your preferred setup easily to other 1DX M2 cameras that you own and the micro adjustment fine tuning will vary by body.  I suspect the reason settings from the very early firmware are lost with the later revisions is because some setting options have been added or changed.  The manual lists what is saved under settings starting on page 471.

But as an earlier poster suggested write down your micro-AF adjustments just in case the firmware update clears some of the other camera functions.

This is the second update I have done on my January purchased 1DX M2 and both have gone smoothly.  I still have my older 1D M2 and it has had several firmware updates with no issue.  Just always make sure the battery is well charged before starting the updates.  I wish Win10 updates were as smooth and painless as Canon updates.

Once you are sure the firmware is properly updated don't forget to reformat your CF card because the firmware update will occupy quite a bit of space.

Rodger 

@wq9nscwrote:

AF micro-adjustment isn't part of the settings file because the primary idea behind these is you can move your preferred setup easily to other 1DX M2 cameras that you own and the micro adjustment fine tuning will vary by body. 

Rodger 

I have not checked for that, but it doesn’t make sense to me.  What if I wanted to back up my camera’s settings?  Losing all of my AFMA settings does not sound appealing.  As far as transferring settings to a new body goes, clearing AFMA settings is easy to do.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

I read the manual in depth and it appears AF microadjustment IS saved as one of the settings.  So you can keep those settings safe on a card.

I put mine in a spreadsheet for future reference in case I need to re-enter the values.

Rodger

Thank you all for your help.  It's much appreciated and has answered my questions. 

Take care,

Mike in South Dakota

coachboz68
Enthusiast

I upgraded my 1DX Mk II firmware about 4 weeks ago.  No issue.  However, I did not have any microfocus adjustments prior to the upgrade.  

Announcements