cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

1DX MKII only showing 48 or 50 RAW images

bwalley
Contributor

I have a new 1DX MKII

In the viewfinder it shows only 48 frames in the viewfinder for RAW, I thought it would show 99, since it has a buffer of 170.

on my 1DX the 12 FPS shuttre sounds very consistent, on the 1DX MKII it fluctuates, it seems to go up and down.

What causes this?

I am using C Fast 256 GB Cards, tried 2 different ones, brand new.

26 REPLIES 26

diverhank
Authority

Page 148, 149, 158 and 159 of the manual tells you what can slow down your rate...namely the uses of filters such as Anti-Flicker, noise reduction and use of dual RAW + JPEG recording...

================================================
Diverhank's photos on Flickr

@diverhank wrote:

Page 148, 149, 158 and 159 of the manual tells you what can slow down your rate...namely the uses of filters such as Anti-Flicker, noise reduction and use of dual RAW + JPEG recording...

On my previous post, I kinda of let you read it for yourself but I guess details got lost so here's the excerpt.  Since you shoot both RAW and JPEG, the best you can hope for 81 under the very best circumstances.  Your 50 seems reasonable to me.  If you want faster...just shoot RAW only (170).

Capture.JPG

================================================
Diverhank's photos on Flickr

bwalley
Contributor
Even with all of that turned off, still 50 in RAW.

99 with JPEG only.

Did you format the card in the camera as you should have done ?

bwalley
Contributor
Yes, I formatted a brand new C fast card, and tried a 2nd brand new C fast card.

Formatted both cards a couple of times in the 1dx MKII.

Brand new camera, brand new C fast cards, using L series lenses.

Battery is fully charged.

I assume you are talking about the burst rate in continuous shooting, Canon state this as 170 shots with a CFast card when shooting raw (as you have stated).

Bearing  in mind that the LCD is showing the number of remaining shots to be processed, how many shots are being recorded on the card once it has finished writing.

bwalley
Contributor
The LCD shows the available shots, since it is supposed to be able to buffer 170 RAW shots, the LCD should say 99, until I have taken 71 shots.

The reason I bought the 1dx MKII was for the 170 shot buffer since my 1dx buffers out quickly.

If I shoot it only in JPEG the LCD shows 99 shots.

Highest I can get it now is 59 shots, with just a cfast card and writing only large RAW files.

It's a brand new card and camera with L series lenses.

The card is a Delkin CFast 2.0 256 GB card.

Do you have lens optimization on (DLO)?

bwalley
Contributor
Yes but when I turn it off, it doesn't change things.

Looks like the 170 RAW buffer is misleading and that is why I bought the 1DX MKII.
Announcements