cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

100mm 2.8L macro with 6D, shutter too slow in bright sunlight

Cindy-Clicks
Enthusiast

When shooting with my 100mm macro in Av,  I cannot get a decent shutter speed even in bright sunlight with ISO at 1000.  I don't seem to have this problem with my 70D even though I am shooting at 200mm+.  The 6D is full-frame so it should actually be shooting faster. What is the problem?

38 REPLIES 38

_MG_0548-2.jpg_MG_0549-2.jpg

Is the metadata showing up now?

No.  It is still blank.  But at any rate you need to u/l them as seperate files.  It will be useless to do it with them combined.

That is probably why the data is stripped.  Just resize the original(s) and u/l them from LR.  All meta data intact.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

@ebiggs1 wrote:

BTW, the fastest lens, that is actually made, and, that I know of, is the Leica Noctilux-M 50mm f/0.95 ASPH Lens,  It is around 10 grand.  There have been faster lenses but were either specialized for certain aps or a joke.  Sometimes you can find one of these in a flea market or lens junk yard.

Actually, an f1.0 or faster lens isn't going to solve your "problems" at all. More likely would just present a new set of problems! In fact... you'd end up stopping it way down anyway, looking for enough depth of field to take shots like your rose examples.

I don't know you and your level of experience, so forgive me but it sounds as if you have some misunderstandings of the basics of exposure. You might benefit most from spending $18 or so on a copy of Bryan Peterson's "Understanding Exposure". That's an excellent book that can even be helpful to folks who.ve been shooting for years and think they already know it all.

Of course, a book doesn't directly address your problem... But it would make it more obvious why we're asking for more info (the EXIF) and being a bit doubtful about what you think is occurring.

Alan Myers
San Jose, Calif., USA
"Walk softly and carry a big lens."
GEAR: 5DII, 7D(x2), 50D(x3), some other cameras, various lenses & accessories
FLICKR & EXPOSUREMANAGER 

"BTW, the fastest lens, that is actually made, and, that I know of, is the Leica Noctilux-M 50mm f/0.95 ASPH Lens,  It is around 10 grand."

Alan this was just a unrelated comment by the OP.   Not meant for purchase or use.

EB

I didn't mean to suggest that anyone should own an f/1.0 lens (I wouldn't shoot at f/1.0).  I only mentioned the order of f-stops in the context of using an aperture other than f/16.  

E.g. while outside during mid-day sun (assuming it isn't cloudy) you can safely assuming that at f/16 that you can set the shutter speed to the inverse of the ISO.  This will always work (no need to check the meter and if the meter disagrees then the meter is giving an incorrect reading -- which can happen on mostly white or mostly black images.)

But suppose you don't want to shoot at f/16... suppose you'd rather use f/8.   f/8 is two "full" stops down from f/16 (each "full" f-stop is a "power" (exponentiation in math) of the square root of 2.  (√2 = 1.414213562373095... but you can safely round this to simply 1.4 for simplicity for photography purposes.)  f/1 is √2^0.  f/1.4 is √2^1.  f/2 is √2^2.  f/2.8 is √2^3.  f/4 is √2^4.  etc.  It's always the square root of 2 raised to "something" and that something (the exponent) goes up by whole integer values for each "full" f-stop.

The reason this is important is because if you change the radius of a circle by a factor of the square root of 2 (up or down) then the AREA of that circle will EXACTLY double (or halve depending on if you were making the circle larger or smaller based on that factor.)  When your circle (in our case its the aperture opening inside the lens) is EXACTLY double the area, then exactly twice as many photons of light will pass through the opening.

f/8 is two full stops down from f/16.  That means we'll be getting four times more light through our lens at f/8 than whatever we were getting at f/16 and, consequently, we can adjust our shutter speed so that the shutter is only open 1/4th as long.  If we use ISO 100, then we could use ISO 100, f/16, and 1/100th sec.  OR we can use ISO 100, f/8, and 1/400th sec and get the same amount of light to the sensor.

At f/1 it gets a bit crazy... that's 8 stops down from f/16.  1/100th sec (at ISO 100) becomes 1/25600th sec exposure (even at ISO 100).

1/100 0 stops (f/16)

1/200 1 stop (f/11)

1/400 2 stops (f/8)

1/800 3 stops (f/5.6)

1/1600 4 stops (f/4)

1/3200 5 stops (f/2.8)

1/6400 6 stops (f/2)

1/12,800 7 stops (f/1.4)

1/25,600 8 stops (f/1.0)

Your camera probably can't shoot faster than 1/4000 sec (a few cameras can shoot at 1/8000th).  So f/1.0 is not going to be useful (you'd minimally need a 3 stop ND filter to shoot at f/1.0 outside in full sunlight.)   And of course you'd have a ludicrously narrow depth of field and would need to do a lot of focus stacking.  

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

Guys the f1 and faster lens was just a comment.  It was not a solution or even a try to use lens.  Simply a comment.  No relation to the issue at hand.

EB

@Cindy-Clicks wrote:

I had it set to Av.   I have heard that there is now a lens that is less than f/1.   So saving a photo to jpeg automatically loses the EXIF data?

A less than f/1 lens will have a very shallow depth of field. Canon has an EF 85mm f/1.2L and that already has a razor thin depth of field.

If the EXIF is saved with a JPG depends on the program you are using and the settings. For example Lightroom can be set to remove none, some, or all of the EXIF data.

"You've got that backwards, both sensors collect the same amount of light per unit area (i.e. square mm)"

No, I really don't think I have it backwards. It is unrelated to sensor size. It is the density of pixels.  APS-C sensors usually have more densely packed sensors. You do have a point in that I am sure you can find a certain sensor vs sensor that does but not generally speaking.

I have heard people say full frame sensors receive more light than crop sensors. I have never found this to true.

Take the same lens along with exact settings on a FF and a APS-C, keep the distance from the lens and the sensor exact, then the FF will collect more light because the sensor is larger. It is recieving all the light the lens can project.

However, ensuring the other parameters are equalized, focal length, DOF, angle of acceptance, etc, you compensate for the different sensor sizes.

I grant you, this may be difficult to do since there may not be that exact match in lenses.

EB

@Cindy-Clicks wrote:

f/11,  it sets the shutter speed at around 20.   I cannot handhold it at that speed.  I was told that full frame allows more light in, thus it should find a fast shutter speed than my crop sensor, which will give me at least 100 sec at that focal length.  I mean if the ISO is set at 1000 in bright sunlight, something seems amiss here.

A full-frame camera doesn't let more light in; it just wastes less of it. Anyway, the f-stop takes all that into account. You'll recall (I hope) that it's the ratio of the lens's focal length to the diameter of the opening.

Something does indeed appear amiss if the camera thinks it needs 1/20 of a second in bright sunlight at ISO 1000, unless the scene itself is very dark. Are you sure you don't have a neutral-density filter on the front of that lens?

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA
National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements