cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

100mm 2.8L macro with 6D, shutter too slow in bright sunlight

Cindy-Clicks
Enthusiast

When shooting with my 100mm macro in Av,  I cannot get a decent shutter speed even in bright sunlight with ISO at 1000.  I don't seem to have this problem with my 70D even though I am shooting at 200mm+.  The 6D is full-frame so it should actually be shooting faster. What is the problem?

38 REPLIES 38

TTMartin
Authority
Authority

@Cindy-Clicks wrote:

When shooting with my 100mm macro in Av,  I cannot get a decent shutter speed even in bright sunlight with ISO at 1000.  I don't seem to have this problem with my 70D even though I am shooting at 200mm+.  The 6D is full-frame so it should actually be shooting faster. What is the problem?

What aperture setting are you using in Av mode?

And what do you consider a 'decent' shutter speed?

@TTMartin wrote:

@Cindy-Clicks wrote:

What aperture setting are you using in Av mode?

And what do you consider a 'decent' shutter speed?

And what does the camera being full-frame have to do with it?

And for that matter, what does the focal length of the lens have to do with it? Yes, you may need a faster shutter speed when shooting with a longer lens; but a particular aperture implies a particular shutter speed, regardless of the focal length.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

Can you reveal your exact settings?

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

f/11,  it sets the shutter speed at around 20.   I cannot handhold it at that speed.  I was told that full frame allows more light in, thus it should find a fast shutter speed than my crop sensor, which will give me at least 100 sec at that focal length.  I mean if the ISO is set at 1000 in bright sunlight, something seems amiss here.

If a camera is set to f11 with a SS of 1/20 and a ISO of 1000, it will be exactly the same no mattter what camera you are using.

Someone told you wrong and probably meant to say low light and/or higher ISO speeds are cleaner with FF.

In bright sunlight a setting of f16 with a SS of 1/100 and a ISO of 100, is called the "Sunny Daylight Rule."  The camera or lens makes no difference.

To figure out where you are you need to either double or half these numbers.  For instance, f11 with a SS of 1/100 and a ISO of 100 is one stop faster.  IE more light let into the camera.  Again f16 and a SS of 1/200 with the ISO at 100 is one stop slower.  IE less light let into the camera.

On a sunny day you should be able to use f16 with a SS of 1/100 and a ISO of 100.  Or any combination of this and with a 100mm f2.8 lens should work well.

EB

@Cindy-Clicks wrote:

f/11,  it sets the shutter speed at around 20.   I cannot handhold it at that speed.  I was told that full frame allows more light in, thus it should find a fast shutter speed than my crop sensor, which will give me at least 100 sec at that focal length.  I mean if the ISO is set at 1000 in bright sunlight, something seems amiss here.

That does sound slow.

What metering mode are you using?

Can you post a sample photo?

Full frame and crop setting should be the same. The crop camera compensates for the difference in total light by applying more amplification at any given ISO. So as a photographer you will only see a difference in the quality of the output, not, in the settings.

I know!  If I can't get f/16 at 100 ISO I certainly cannot get it at 1000.  I am running out the door right now but I will try to post some pics later.  The metering was either evaluative or partial.  Definitely not spot.  I did have a polorizing lens on, but when I romoved it, it did not seem to help at all.

EV is EV, no matter what size the sensor is.

An APS-C sensor will collect more light per unit area of the sensor, however the larger sensor on a FF sensor will collect the same amount of light in total.

To determine this you would need to keep field of view, depth of field and subject brightness constant which may be impossibile to do exactly.  There might not be exact lenses for each format to compare.

EB

@ebiggs1 wrote:

EV is EV, no matter what size the sensor is.

An APS-C sensor will collect more light per unit area of the sensor, however the larger sensor on a FF sensor will collect the same amount of light in total.

You've got that backwards, both sensors collect the same amount of light per unit area (i.e. square mm). The full frame sensor collects more total light because it has more units of area. (i.e. more square millimeters)

But as I posted before. Full frame and crop setting should be the same. The crop camera compensates for the difference in total light by applying more amplification at any given ISO. So as a photographer you will only see a difference in the quality of the output, not, in the settings.

Announcements