cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

parallax problem with SLR lens on DSLR body

schnuezel
Contributor

I have a kit lens that came with my EOS Rebel XS film SLR back in the 90s.  I've put it on the body of my EOS Rebel XS DSLR for my daughter to learn with.    We're finding that there is quite a bit of parallax which is difficult for her to compensate for as she's learning.  Any ideas why this is happening and if there's anything I can do about it?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@schnuezel wrote:

Interesting food for thought.  I get that the viewfinder doesn't show you exactly what the actual picture will be.  The camera doesn't have live view, so I can't use that.  I haven't tested the old lens on my Canon 70D.  I'm going to try that and report back.  If the problem is there too, then I know it's caused by the lens.

Have you tried any of the lenses from your 70D on the XS? (They should all be compatible.) If they show the problem, especially in live view (now that you've established that the XS does have it), then look for a misalignment of the lens mount. Maybe the camera had been dropped before you got it.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13

Oops. You're totally right.  It does have live view.  I was thinking of the old film Rebel XS SLR.

@schnuezel wrote:

Interesting food for thought.  I get that the viewfinder doesn't show you exactly what the actual picture will be.  The camera doesn't have live view, so I can't use that.  I haven't tested the old lens on my Canon 70D.  I'm going to try that and report back.  If the problem is there too, then I know it's caused by the lens.

To blame the lens, you have to assume that it's changing its focal length in a manner that fools the viewfinder. But the viewfinder's primary responsibility is to keep that from happening. It's really a stretch to see how the fault could lie with the lens.

Bob

@schnuezel wrote:

Have you tried any of the lenses from your 70D on the XS? (They should all be compatible.) If they show the problem, especially in live view (now that you've established that the XS does have it), then look for a misalignment of the lens mount. Maybe the camera had been dropped before you got it.

Bob

I'm not really able to reproduce the problem.  I'm starting to wonder if it's a user error - gasp!  I'm going to give the Rebel XS to my daugther to learn with and if she doesn't complain about anything, I consider us good to go.  Sorry if I led you folks on a wild goose chase.  I appreciate this community!

Announcements