cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

canon 100-400mm is usm

ABBOTALE
Contributor

Hello gang

i expect this question has been posted before i have aCanon EOS 1DS MK11 and looking to buy 100-400mm is usm L lens will it auto-focus with a 1.4 extender?????

Many thanks Steve

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

"9 Points!  That's it?  Are you sure about that?  The 80D can use 27 cross type AF points at f/8. Aren't all of the points to be f/8?"

With the 1DX M2 it depends upon which version of the 1.4X is used.  With gen 1 or 2 and the 100-400 then 9 points are available with the center operational in cross-type mode.  With a gen 3 1.4X then 47 are active with 21 in the cross-type mode but none in the dual type mode.

With the earlier 1D series, including the OP's 1DS M2, then only the center point is available at F8 with this combo.

Most of the time when I use an extreme telephoto setting I am using a single point anyway so the original poster should still find the 100-400/1.4X combo to be effective in most situations.

Auto focus speed is greatly reduced on the older models (like my older 1D M2) when using a lens with a limited maximum aperture and although the 1DX M2 does slow some it is much less than the older models.  I have been very impressed how well the 1DX M2 does in shooting soccer with low light and the only lack of focus issue is operator error due to me sometimes still thinking back to when I was coaching and following the big picture instead of making sure the little red boxes are where they ought to be 🙂

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

Typically 1D bodies will focus at f/8 with the center focus point. Your manual should list compatible lenses. 

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

wq9nsc
Authority
Authority

Steve,

This combo will auto focus but only using the center focus point and this point only functions as a "lower performance" horizontal line rather than as a crosspoint sensor with this F8 combo.  I have a same era 1D Mark II and it has the same limitation.  

This is an area where the technology has advanced a lot.  I recenly upgraded to a 1DX M2 and it will use up to 9 points with the same lens and the center point acts as a cross type sensor. AF speed degradation is also far less with this one using slower lens combos.

With the telephoto lens you would likely be using center point only in many cases so for many situations only having one point available isn't a big limitation.

Rodger

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video

"This is an area where the technology has advanced a lot.  I recenly upgraded to a 1DX M2 and it will use up to 9 points with the same lens and the center point acts as a cross type sensor. AF speed degradation is also far less with this one using slower lens combos."

9 Points!  That's it?  Are you sure about that?  The 80D can use 27 cross type AF points at f/8. Aren't all of the points to be f/8?

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

"9 Points!  That's it?  Are you sure about that?  The 80D can use 27 cross type AF points at f/8. Aren't all of the points to be f/8?"

With the 1DX M2 it depends upon which version of the 1.4X is used.  With gen 1 or 2 and the 100-400 then 9 points are available with the center operational in cross-type mode.  With a gen 3 1.4X then 47 are active with 21 in the cross-type mode but none in the dual type mode.

With the earlier 1D series, including the OP's 1DS M2, then only the center point is available at F8 with this combo.

Most of the time when I use an extreme telephoto setting I am using a single point anyway so the original poster should still find the 100-400/1.4X combo to be effective in most situations.

Auto focus speed is greatly reduced on the older models (like my older 1D M2) when using a lens with a limited maximum aperture and although the 1DX M2 does slow some it is much less than the older models.  I have been very impressed how well the 1DX M2 does in shooting soccer with low light and the only lack of focus issue is operator error due to me sometimes still thinking back to when I was coaching and following the big picture instead of making sure the little red boxes are where they ought to be 🙂

"...the original poster should still find the 100-400/1.4X combo to be effective in most situations."

Thank you.  Smiley Happy

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

@wq9nsc wrote:

With the 1DX M2 it depends upon which version of the 1.4X is used.  With gen 1 or 2 and the 100-400 then 9 points are available with the center operational in cross-type mode.  With a gen 3 1.4X then 47 are active with 21 in the cross-type mode but none in the dual type mode.   🙂

I am still under the impression that with the EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS II USM with the 1.4x III will give you 61 AF points focusing at /8.

6DF4233A-7B68-468E-9301-C87BB6DC2D17.jpeg

"EOS-1D X Mark II allows f/8 AF at nine different AF points — with cross-type AF at the center AF point — when any of the following lens + older extender combinations are used:

• EF 70-200mm f/4L USM (IS and non-IS versions) + EF 2x I and II
  • EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM (lens versions I and II) + EF 1.4x I and II"
John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

@jrhoffman75 wrote:

"EOS-1D X Mark II allows f/8 AF at nine different AF points — with cross-type AF at the center AF point — when any of the following lens + older extender combinations are used:

• EF 70-200mm f/4L USM (IS and non-IS versions) + EF 2x I and II
  • EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM (lens versions I and II) + EF 1.4x I and II"

Okay. I thought he was talking about the EF 1.4x III.

Besides, the OP seems to be talking about buying an extender.

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"will it auto-focus with a 1.4 extender?????"

First off the 1D Mk II is a great camera.  of all the Mk II's I had I kept the Mk IIn.  Secondly though, you will have more issues to deal with than just will it AF.  Tel-cons bring out the worst in everything.  That is the cost of getting some extra FL.  ISO being one. You probably shouldn't exceed ISO 800 for best IQ. Not much ISO ! You are going to be dealing with over 700mm equivalent FL.  Your SS needs to reflect that.  Probably needing a SS at or faster than 1/1000.  Good daylight, no problem but other times?  Not that it can't be done just keep it in mind. I shoot the ef 400mm f5.6L on my 2n quite a bit and it works well.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements