cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

aspiring professional; focus on newborns and children; lense under $1000? (t4i rebel)

jemmalee1005
Apprentice
I'm a hopefully hobbies looking to go pro by specializing in newborns and children. I do my work inside and outdoors so I will need a lense that plays well with low light, artificial light & natural llight. Recommendation for the best newborn lens under $1000?
6 REPLIES 6

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

By far the absolute best buy for a professional Canon lens is the 24-105mm f4 L IS.  It can be had for $700 bucks in the 'white box' form.  It is a brand new lens but has been removed from a camera kit. Which someone did not want the lens.

Do not be mistaken, this is a "L" quality lens with all the "L" features like weather-proofing and high build quality.

It will advance with you if you move to a pro level camera. Very important for when you decide to upgrade the camera.

One fact most, if not all, beginners make is the only spec that think about is the QA of a lens.  But a lens is a sum of it's specs and not just one.  That is what makes the 24-105mm f4 L such a great buy.  It is tough, it is high quality, and it has a reasonable price.  The most important specs a pro looks for.

And as your business grows, look at a 5D Mk III.  This lens will be right there with you.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

@ebiggs1 wrote:

By far the absolute best buy for a professional Canon lens is the 24-105mm f4 L IS.  It can be had for $700 bucks in the 'white box' form.  It is a brand new lens but has been removed from a camera kit. Which someone did not want the lens.

Do not be mistaken, this is a "L" quality lens with all the "L" features like weather-proofing and high build quality.

It will advance with you if you move to a pro level camera. Very important for when you decide to upgrade the camera.

One fact most, if not all, beginners make is the only spec that think about is the QA of a lens.  But a lens is a sum of it's specs and not just one.  That is what makes the 24-105mm f4 L such a great buy.  It is tough, it is high quality, and it has a reasonable price.  The most important specs a pro looks for.

And as your business grows, look at a 5D Mk III.  This lens will be right there with you.

I'm usually skeptical of Biggs's endless hype of the 24-105 for crop-frame cameras. I have a 24-105 and love it, but I didn't use it much until I bought a FF camera. But his comments on the build quality of "L" lenses in general are worth heeding. In particular, L lenses tend to leave the factory better calibrated than Canon's lesser lenses do. Ordinarily, I'd recommend the 17-55mm f/2.8 IS as the obvious general-purpose lens for a crop-frame camera. But mine requires +9 points of autofocus microadjustment, and AF microadjustment is a feature your T4i doesn't have. In that light I'd have to agree that the 24-105 might be a good choice, particularly if a FF camera is in your future.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

Bob from Boston,

The fact I reccommend the EF 24-105mm f4 L is more than just it's focal length.  Focal length is just one of many factors when deciding on a lens.  However, you must ask yourself, is the focal length usable for my application.  And almost always the answer is, yes, especially in the case of the EF 24-105mm.  Sure it is a little long on the wide side for croppers but adding all the specs together that is OK.  Basicly cancelled out by the greater reach on the long end.  You give to get.

And of course anyone even considering upgrading to FF later should not waste money on S lenses.  IMHO, as always, of course.  And again there are no "L" lenses in the EF-S line.  The overwhelming advanyages of this lens is obivious.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Skirball
Authority

You need a fast lens and a macro for newborns.  I primarily used my 100mm macro with my newborns, but I use my own lighting so I don't need a really wide aperture.  I do pull out my 50mm 1.4 and 85mm 1.4 for natural light or really small depth of field, but it's more rare.  The 24-105 mentioned above is a great lens, but I've never used it for newborns or children in a studio setting.   I don't normally need the flexibility of a zoom in the studio so I'd prefer the sharpness of a prime and the speed if I need it.  But mostly I want something that can focus close to the subject in-case I want to get in tight when I see an opportunity.  There's nothing worse than missing a shot because your lens can't focus close up.  With children you won't need the macro and will want something wider (50mm is a good portrait length) for your crop sensor camera, unless you have a ton of room in your studio.

12169007393_16a31e09dd_z.jpg

Beautiful image. You must have a good cameraSmiley Happy

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

Both suggestions above are very good.  If you are on a tight budget, you might want to consider the Canon 85mm F/1.8 lens.  I would add that the closest focus distance is about two and a half feet.  Only you will know if that is close enough for you.  If not, either of the lenses mentioned above will focus closer.

Current bodies: 5D3, 7D, T2i, S100
Favorite Lenses: 24-105 L F/4, 135L, 85 F/1.8
Web site: http://www.BeyondBoudoirPhoto.com
Announcements