cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Zoom Ring not Working on a Brand New RF 24-70mm F2.8 L IS USM

canon_user8
Contributor

Zoom Ring not Working on a Brand New Lens (Stuck and Yes I did make sure the lock was turned off)

Hi gooday, I just bought a RF 24-70mm f2.8 lens and I turned the zoom ring and it was completely stuck. I did make sure the lock was turned off and still nothing. Does anyone know what I can do to remedy this? 

I'm not from the USA or Canada so I can't simply send it in.

18 REPLIES 18

In Trinidad, you'd visit Canon Latin America (weird, I know) at https://cla.canon.com 

Unfortunately, there's no contact number for Trinidad & Tobago. Thanks for looking into this tho~

Also I had purchased it from the USA.

The number you would dial is +507 360-1499.

The Canon USA repair facility cannot ship products outside the United States, nor can we receive products from outside the US. Our facility isn't equipped to deal with import/export (duty fees, etc.). 

Again, you may want to contact Amazon directly to see if they offer any recourse.

+507 is Panama. The company did not directly ship it to me, I have a USA Skybox address and the courier ships it to me. 

I contacted Amazon, they're of no help on this matter. 

The link I provided has a contact us option.

shadowsports_0-1715609952696.png

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

" I did not buy the lens in the grey market ..."

Well technically you did. Any lens not sold by a Canon USA authorized dealer is grey market. Unfortunately for you, Canon USA is not responsible for warranty repairs or replacement. Amazon itself is an authorized Canon USA retailer but the vast Amazon market place is, who knows and, unlikely to be. However, Amazon has great power and can probably see you get this resolved and may even pay for the return and/or replacement. Contact Amazon if the store you bought it form doesn't respond.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

The seller of the lens is K&M Cameras, based in NYC, they sell the lens on Amazon. I contacted them and yeah they're able to take it back. The problem is the taxes & duties, my country charges you based on the value of the item, not the invoice.

So if I didn't pay for any replacement, they're gonna find the value of the item and charge me more duty which is $850 USD. Sucks. Plus I have to pay around $200 USD to send it in. 

I have the funds for it but man it hurts spending so much. 

https://kmcamera.com/ (the Amazon store website)

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

Unfortunately that is the situation you find yourself in. I am not familiar with K&M however if you did not receive a Canon USA warranty card in the box along with the lens it is a grey market lens. Sometimes grey market items are sold at a less price point so I hope you got that in the deal. Perhaps that will offset the cost of return.

My advice and I suspect the advice of many of the long time forum members is to avoid Amazon for photographic gear unless you now exactly what you are ordering and from whom. Also same advice goes for eBay.

EB

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

BTW, canon_user8, long time forum members hear this and about this a lot. People not satisfied with Amazon camera deals. The huge camera packages get the most unhappy people. They are junk but sold with great advertisement and glitter and unsuspecting buyers are not savvy in photography.

We all feel for you whatever that consolation offers you.

EB
click here to view the gallery
Announcements