cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Would you recommend improving glass before the camera?

ScottS
Enthusiast

Would you recommend improving glass before the camera? My situation is this: I own a Canon 40D, which I purchased very clean from a photographer who was upgrading to the 70D. I own only kit lenses at this point. One of them is the "Nifty Fifty" Canon 50mm 1.8. I can't afford my ultimate dream quite yet of full-frame and L series glass. I think I can begin to either upgrade my lenses or my camera.

My choice right now is between the following scenarios:

Stay with my Canon 40D ~ purchase the Canon 70-200mm 2.8 IS II

Stay with my Canon 40D ~ purchase the Sigma 18-35 MM 1.8 Art Lens

(possibly both of those)

OR

Purchase the Canon 7D Mark II w/ the 18-135 STM Kit Lens

Purchase the Canon 6D w/ the 24-105 f4 Lens

I am leaning toward better glass, because low light, clear, sharp photographs are my goal. Video and sports photography are not what I'm needing now.

I am very open to your thoughts and experience.

Thanks much!

Scott S

85 REPLIES 85

Okay, so how come they didn't include that sensor, or one with more megapixels, in the just released EOS-1D X Mark II?  The new 1D has just 20 megapixels. less than half of the 5Ds.  Native ISO of 51200, which is off my charts.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

@Waddizzle wrote:

Okay, so how come they didn't include that sensor, or one with more megapixels, in the just released EOS-1D X Mark II?  The new 1D has just 20 megapixels. less than half of the 5Ds.  Native ISO of 512000, which is off my charts.

Because you have to be able to move the data off the sensor, process it in camera and move it to the card at 14+ frames per second. It is about balancing the goals of the camera.

The reality is that most review sites normalize their 'Print' scores to 8 megapixels, because for normal viewing distances 8 megapixel output is all you need. So 20 megapixels is plenty. But, we also live in a world where the market and marketing influences what is sold. Marketing has convinced us we need more and more megapixels, not technical factors.

Both the 6D and the 1D-X , and some other models, use a 20.2 megapixel full-frame sensor.  I always wonder whether or not it is the same sensor being used across the product line.  I wouldn't think so.

@Waddizzle wrote:

Both the 6D and the 1D-X , and some other models, use a 20.2 megapixel full-frame sensor.  I always wonder whether or not it is the same sensor being used across the product line.  I wouldn't think so.

I highly doubt the 6D and the 1DX have the same sensor. 

In my opinion you have the high megapixel 5DS (and other manufacturers equivalents) not because there is a technical need for them, but, instead there is a market. How many people ever use the 500 HP in their muscle car daily driver? And that's not even a good example because some people will take them to a drag strip where it will make a difference. More megapixels, not so much.

@TTMartin wrote:

@Waddizzle wrote:

I highly doubt the 6D and the 1DX have the same sensor. 

In my opinion you have the high megapixel 5DS (and other manufacturers equivalents) not because there is a technical need for them, but, instead there is a market. How many people ever use the 500 HP in their muscle car daily driver? And that's not even a good example because some people will take them to a drag strip where it will make a difference. More megapixels, not so much.

I have doubts, too, but in the other direction. 

Canon seems to have gotten quite the product lifetime out of their image sensors in the past.  Slap in an updated image processor, or two, onto the old sensor, some new software and hardware features, and BAM, a brand new camera model is born.

Waddizzle wrote: 

I have doubts, too, but in the other direction. 

Canon seems to have gotten quite the product lifetime out of their image sensors in the past.  Slap in an updated image processor, or two, onto the old sensor, some new software and hardware features, and BAM, a brand new camera model is born.

I'm sorry that's nonsense.

Canon has steadily improved their sensors through the years, despite what DXO says. 

"Canon seems to have gotten quite the product lifetime out of their image sensors in the past"

Yes sir they did get quite a run out of the 18MP Rebel sensor.  Smiley Very Happy

What is your first grandchild?  A little boy or girl?  I have nine.  6 girls and 3 boys.  All the girls love to have their pictuers taken.  And I love shooting them.

Second oldest is below.  Ain't it great? Smiley Very Happy

lindsey.jpg

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

@ebiggs1 wrote:

"Canon seems to have gotten quite the product lifetime out of their image sensors in the past"

Yes sir they did get quite a run out of the 18MP Rebel sensor.  Smiley Very Happy

What is your first grandchild?  A little boy or girl?  I have nine.  6 girls and 3 boys.  All the girls love to have their pictuers taken.  And I love shooting them.

Second oldest is below.  Ain't it great? Smiley Very Happy

lindsey.jpg

It is indeed, Ernie (and that's a great picture, BTW). Grandparenthood affords many of the fun features of parenthood without any of the responsibilities. I have five grandchildren, ranging in age from 10 to 17. And it's easy for me to keep track of their ages, since their birthdays all fall into a seven-week period from December 25 to February 12.  Smiley Happy

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

GRANDPA POWER! Smiley Very Happy

I am so jealous, I can not remember birthdays or even how old they are.  But I have nine.  I think that one is 20.  And her birthday is........well she was born, I was there.Smiley Frustrated

EB

Waddizzle just wait untill you get to do this!

wedding.jpg

My first granddaughter wedding. Smiley Happy

EB
Announcements