cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Will the Canon Extender EF 1.4x III work with a Sigma 150-600 Contemporary Lens?

tdehan
Enthusiast

I received a Sigma 150-600 contemporary lens for Christmas with the Canon mount.   I have a Canon Extender EF 1.4x III.   Will the Canon Extender EF 1.4x III work with a Sigma 150-600 Contemporary Lens?  

Canon EOS 5R
Canon EOS 6R
Canon EF 24-105mm f/4 L IS USM
Canon EF 16-35mm f/2.8L II USM
Canon MP-E 65mm f/2.8 1-5x Macro Photo Macro
Canon EF 180mm f3.5L Macro USM AutoFocus Telephoto
Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM
Canon EF 50mm f1.4 USM
Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM
Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM Telephoto Zoom
Canon Extender 1.4 III
Sigma 105mm 1:2.8 DG Macro
Sigma 150-600mm F5-6.3 DG OS HSM | C
6 REPLIES 6

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend
The Canon extenders have a nose that needs to be dealt with.

Since you've got the camera and lens give it a try - carefully.
John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

I have 1.4x II.  I don't have the newer III version.  The II will mount on the big Siggy.  Now, whether it will 'work' or not it up for debate.  I say. no, it doesn't.  Also it depends on which Canon camera you have?

IMHO, you should never use a tele converter on any lens slower than f2.8 and certainly never, never less than f4.  The Siggy has a max aperture of f5 so it pretty much is a no go.  Again, IMHO.

BTW, Sigma makes a 1.4x converter, the Sigma TC-1401 1.4x Teleconverter for Canon EF.  It would be a better choice than the Canon which is designed bascially for Canon lenses and not Sigma's.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Commodus
Apprentice

This lens WILL work with a Canon tele-extender if  you do this. (An old trick given to me by an old timer at Canon headquarters).
Use a very small piece of tape (preferrably the blue tape used to mask painting on walls) and cut an approx. 3mm by 2mm piece with an exacto knife and stick it to the lens contacts in the back.  Now, the important part is to stick it and cover only to the last gold contact that is opposite the bigger contacts on the other side.  The tape will not ever come loose no matter how many times you attach and de-attach the lens, so don't worry.  This particular contact is for Sigma cameras only, so if you are using a Canon or (probably) any other brand) this will work as well.  This will make your Canon tele-extender work with the Sigma lenses. 

Happy gigage!

Actually... it works just fine without any tape.

Canon EOS 5R
Canon EOS 6R
Canon EF 24-105mm f/4 L IS USM
Canon EF 16-35mm f/2.8L II USM
Canon MP-E 65mm f/2.8 1-5x Macro Photo Macro
Canon EF 180mm f3.5L Macro USM AutoFocus Telephoto
Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM
Canon EF 50mm f1.4 USM
Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM
Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM Telephoto Zoom
Canon Extender 1.4 III
Sigma 105mm 1:2.8 DG Macro
Sigma 150-600mm F5-6.3 DG OS HSM | C

@tdehan wrote:

Actually... it works just fine without any tape.

I would suspect that the camera model, and choice of manually selected AF point, makes a difference, too.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

"... and choice of manually selected AF point, makes a difference, too."

And....the definition of the word "works", also.  Smiley Frustrated

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements