cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Will a new Canon EF 50mm 1:1.4 lens work on a Rebel 2000 SLR?

Camwiley
Contributor

My daughter has a nice Canon 50mm lens that she uses with her EOS 6D 20.2 MP CMOS DSLR. She wants to try film; will newer lenses fit on a Rebel 2000 SLR?

Thanks!

18 REPLIES 18

I think film cameras usually require the lens to have manually settable aperture and shutter speed settings. DSLR lenses usually don't have those.

Film is vastly overrated by those who haven't used it. I had thought that my oldest nephew was the last holdout for film. But a couple of years ago his brother gave him a digital camera, and he hasn't looked back since.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

TTMartin
Authority
Authority

@Camwiley wrote:

My daughter has a nice Canon 50mm lens that she uses with her EOS 6D 20.2 MP CMOS DSLR. She wants to try film; will newer lenses fit on a Rebel 2000 SLR?

Thanks!

Yes, all of the Canon EF lenses will work on EOS film cameras.

In other words all of the lenses that work on her EOS 6D will work on an EOS Rebel 2000.

For a more complete retro experience you might consider a higher end EOS film camera that takes interchangeable focus screens. The following cameras feature interchangeable focusing screens:EOS-1/1N/1V and EOS-3 series film cameras. There really isn't a big price range for used EOS film cameras, even the pro-level 1 series film cameras can be found for well under $100.

I have an EOS 1N with a Canon EC-B split prism focus screen ($34) this allows for much easier manual focus.

QuickGuide to EOS Focusing Screens

Thank you -- very helpful. I was also considering an older AF-1 I saw on ebay but that probably wouldn't work....?

@Camwiley wrote:
Thank you -- very helpful. I was also considering an older AF-1 I saw on ebay but that probably wouldn't work....?

The Canon AE-1 uses Canon FD lenses and none of the lenses for the EOS 6D will work with that camera.

If you are interested in a film camera for your daughter who already has EF lenses stick with an EOS film camera.

Perfect, thanks!

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

There will be sorta contrast between the two!  The Rebel 2000 was a entry level film camera and the EOS 6D is a pretty advanced camera.

However all the "EF" lenses have way better optics that their older versions so they will work well.

"EF" in the lens name is the key. If it has that, it will work.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Yes -- my daughter is way more into photography than me, so I'm just trying to surprise her with an inexpensive film camera for her to try out shooting film with the lens she has. I don't think she'll enjoy the cost of film and processing though....! I may look for a 1N like another blogger suggested. Thank you all!

If you can find a good used one the CANON EOS 1 film-based 135mm (36 x 24mm) format professional class AF-SLR camera is the one to get.  It was the most advanced film camera Canon made.  They are tough as nails.  It is almost impossible to wera one out so they are great buys.  But everybody knows this so the price can be high even now.  This camera is more in line with her EOS 6D.

Tell your daughter to  shoot slide film.  It is more versitile and way more cheaper to use than negative film.  You can print just what you want which saves money.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
click here to view the gallery
Announcements