cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which adaptor and CANON should I buy to use old analogue lenses?

No-Frills
Contributor

Howdy,

I am a Fujiman. Nearly all my digital cameras with interchangeable are Fujis.

But I also own an old CANON AE-1 and some old FD lenses.

I tried to adopt some old lenses on Fujix X. Mostly telephoto lenses. This seems to be impossible. I've bought some adaptors and almost all dosn't work. Some can't focus on infinity others can't focus to any distance.

Another point is the flimsy manual focusing aid that Fuji offers.

However, I have a lot of problems with focusing old third party lenses on Fujifilm digital cameras, too.

I have since monthe the idea to buy a CANON SLR which accepts the old FD lenses.

Which one can you recommend? And which brand of adptors to get sharp images with the old analogue lenses?

My prefenrences are:

I want to shoot with old telephoto lenses 400mm and more.
I need Video in full HD

If you want to visit Germany feel free to ask me about good locations for photography in my region (Ruhr district, ex coal mine area, Duesseldorf). And yes, my username is inspired by some sketches of the Carol Burnett Show.
7 REPLIES 7

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

Won't happen. You will have the same issues mounting FD lenses on an EOS camera as you had with the Fuji.

But, if you really must,  just go to amazon and search for "FD to EOS adapter"

@kvbarkley wrote:

Which are only available from cheap 3rd party companies. Since the adapter requires optics to adjust the focal plane distance you will take a hit in image quality.

Lens manufacturing and design have taken huge leaps with the use of computers. Today Canon's STM consumer lenses will outperform optically any film era lens. They are so reasonably priced it doesn't make any sense to try and adapt old lenses.

@TTMartin wrote:

@kvbarkley wrote:

Which are only available from cheap 3rd party companies. Since the adapter requires optics to adjust the focal plane distance you will take a hit in image quality.

Lens manufacturing and design have taken huge leaps with the use of computers. Today Canon's STM consumer lenses will outperform optically any film era lens. They are so reasonably priced it doesn't make any sense to try and adapt old lenses.

A major consequence of the design advances that Tom mentioned is good zoom lenses. Most of today's zoom lenses are better than the prime lenses of the film era. Today's photographer is given much more flexibility and doesn't have to change lenses nearly as often.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

Any of Canon’s M series mirrorless cameras will work quite well with FD lenses using a simple adapter with no optics. 

6D87FA9D-6BF5-405E-A91F-B27A37AB98E9.jpeg5E32E4CF-561F-49F8-A1D5-1D56BD4DA86F.jpeg

Mike Sowsun

Thanks for the replies.

Look on Amazon is a good one. Therefore I asked who had good experiences with which brand. I bought some adaptors and returned 50 percent of them. The K+F concept adaptor for CANON FD on FUJI X for example is a no go. It can't be screwed in. It jams imediately. Other Fuji user made the same experience. I own all gauges to measure adaptors. Two sizes of the K+F are wrong and one of them is 0.2 millimeter to thick. One of my old analogue lenses came with a adaptor for CANON FD. It doesn't fit the FD- mount and jams like the K+F. There is no brand name on it.

Therefore I want to prevend mispurchase for the Canon I want to buy.

I agree, that old lenses are not so good as new ones. But I don't want to use them for my artwork or product photography. I have two other intentions.

On youtube are a lot of reviews about using old lenses on a digital camera which are - excuse me - bull**bleep**. There are also some doubtful analoge camera reviews. I'm preparing some own reviews.

Maybe I establish a very small camera museum. My ex-neighbor has had the smallest art museum for some years.

Besides, a Miranda was my first SLR. After a fall from just one feet height it was damaged, lightmeter defect and pentaprism broken. There were to option in 1978. To buy the Nikon Nikkormat FT3 or the Canon AE-1. For some reasons I bought the Nikkormat. A friend had the Canon EF and the Canon A-1 and I used them sometimes, too.

I took my last analogue image about 2001. After 17 years digital photography I bought the AE-1 as I saw it at the Store of a 2nd hand dealer who isn't specialized in photography. It is in a very good condition and was very cheap. As I saw it I was immeditiately interested to use this camera I once skipped.

If you want to visit Germany feel free to ask me about good locations for photography in my region (Ruhr district, ex coal mine area, Duesseldorf). And yes, my username is inspired by some sketches of the Carol Burnett Show.

We know of no good adapters for the EOS EF and EF-S mounts. The only viable solution is MikeSowsun's: an M series, though it is not a DSLR.

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

" Since the adapter requires optics to adjust the focal plane distance you will take a hit in image quality."

I am on the side, as the others, this is a fool's folly.  I am one so I know. Smiley Very Happy

However, the above statement is not exactly true.  It is possible, especially on the old great white lenses, to do a conversion that works, well, OK at least.

I have successfully converted my FD 500mm cat lens to EOS.  Do a google search for Ed Mika FD adapters and lens alterations.

As was mentioned almost any current lens is a better way to spend your time and money.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements