cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What's the best portrait/product shot lens for the R8 under 750 dollars?

hokinno2
Apprentice

basically , the title.

I am planning to do a bunch of portraits, product shots and pics of the sky (aurora), macro here and there maybe but i guess i could just buy a cheap macro lens and that will do , i am looking for a good bokeh. what lens should i get?

idk which brands are worth looking at apart from the canon lenses. i see some called 7artisans, rokinon, samyung and etc on amazon, are those any good?

i am really new and have no idea what to buy , any help is appreciated

4 REPLIES 4

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings ,

I would recommend staying with Canon brand lenses if possible.  They will provide consistent performance and reliable results.  

You mention portraits, product, astro and macro photography.  These present very different subjects and shooting situations.  There isn't a single lens solution that will address all scenarios.  

Popular focal lengths for:

Astrophotography: 12-24mm

Portraits: 85-135mm

Product 35-50mm

Macro 24-100mm

Every shooting situation is different and the lens you choose can vary depending on the conditions.  Lenses with a faster aperture f4, f.2.8,  f1.4, etc, do better in low light and offer a more shallow depth of field when used on a camera with a full frame sensor.  They also offer a softer background behind your subject (bokeh).

You're not going to be able to do everything with one lens unless you're willing to give up some capability in one or more areas.  

Here are some lenses at price points that may allow you to cover varied shooting conditions for the types of photography you mentioned.  Maybe you can consider 2 and remain at or near your budget 

RF 24mm f1.8

RF 35mm f1.8

RF 85mm F2  **(Edited typo)

RF 24-105mm f4-7.1

You're welcome to ask questions. Any of us here are more than happy to help.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.7.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

March411
Rising Star

I would agree, if you can stick with Canon as once you go to a 3rd party you'll need to add an adapter.

One that isn't on the list and I would say is the best but will work is the RF24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM but is $150 over your budget @ $900. It has the range as Rick noted for many of the styles/types of photography you are interested in so it may be worth a look. It is a slower lens so light needs to be a consideration.

The pop up in the Canon USA refurb area once and a while for $720. It may be worth creating a account and hitting the notify button.

https://www.usa.canon.com/shop/lenses/refurbished-lenses?p=3

No trees were destroyed in the posting of this message. However, a significant number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
Marc
Windy City

R3 ~ R5 ~ R6 Mk II ~ R50
Adobe and Topaz Suite for post processing
My Online Gallery

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

What lenses do you currently own?  

What do you plan to do with the photos?  Is photography a casual hobby for you?  Are you considering earning income from your photography?

You seem to be asking for a “master ring of power, one ring to rule them all” when it comes to lens selection.  Such a lens does not really exist.  If it did, then you would not see such a wide variety of lenses available to select from.  ‘

Shadiowsports has posted an excellent summary of popular focal lengths and aperture settings for your rites of photography scenarios.

————————————

Popular focal lengths for:

Astrophotography: 12-24mm

Portraits: 85-135mm

Product 35-50mm

Macro 24-100mm

————————————

You may find a need for additional gear for your variety of shooting scenarios.  A tripod is recommended for astrophotography and most macro shooting scenarios.  You may find need of a light source for product and portrait photography.  

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

I hate it when people put "names" om lenses. Oh, this lens is a portrait lens or this lens is a landscape lens or this one is that. The fact of the matter is how and where will the lens be used. For example an 800mm tele lens is a landscape lens if you are shooting the Moon from Earth. I suspect an 85mm lens got to be known as a good portrait lens because the size of most studios. Wider FL like the 24mm got the title because people either couldn't or don't want to step back a few feet or yards or miles. You really need to ignore the "names" and find the lens that fits your needs for your situation.

All lenses regardless of their focal length, FL, will present the same perspective of a scene and they will capture the same sizes of objects, same, same within the frame, even if they are different FL lenses as long as angle of view, AOV, is constant. The key here is the  AOV as it remains consistent across all lenses in the comparison. The distance to subject is what is different and changes.

For about the last decade I decided the 70-200mm f2.8L , on my 1 Series, was the best "portrait" lens ever made. But that's me and my work it may fit yours or perhaps not but it deserves a look.

Over budget look at the used market.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements