cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Viltrox Stops Selling Canon Lenses

Tronhard
Elite
Elite

I was interested to see A POST in DPREVIEW to the effect that Canon had told Viltrox to stop selling Canon RF mount lenses.   I went to the lens company's website HERE  and there is no listing for Canon RF lenses and, in fact, none for the EF-M mount either.

This information might be useful if someone asks about Viltrox lenses on Canon bodies, as it seems they have stopped producing product.

cheers, TREVOR

"The Amount of Misery expands to fill the space available"
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris
29 REPLIES 29

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

Looks like Canon Germany has identified the issue as patent infringement. 

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

Then it goes to the court system if they don't respond.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Given that Viltrox have withdrawn the RF lenses from the market, it seems they have chosen to avoid litigation, at least for the time being.  Given Canon's legal resourcing and experience in patent protection, I would be very surprised if there is a challenge. Still, we shall see...

cheers, TREVOR

"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

deebatman316
Authority
Authority

I guess that means all other 3rd parties will not make lenses or adapters for the RF Mount. To avoid litigation against them from Canon.

-Demetrius

40D, 5D IV, EF 16-35mm F/2.8L III, EF 24-70mm F/2.8L II, EF 28-135mm F/3.5-5.6 IS USM, EF 50 F/1.8 STM

430EX III-RT, 600EX II-RT

-Demetrius

Current Gear: EOS 5D Mark IV, EF F/2.8 Trinity, EF 50mm F/1.8 STM, EF 85mm F/1.8 USM, 470EX-AI & 600EX II-RT

Retired Gear: EOS 40D

I don't know. I think it is noemalvfor the OEM to set up licensing and realease IP to allow 3rd parties' gear to work.

cheers, TREVOR

I thought 3rd parties reversed engineered the electronics in the lens mount to allow AF, IS, aperture control, lens metering and distance info for TTL to work correctly. That's why there are some incompatibilities between old lenses on new bodies. 

-Demetrius

40D, 5D IV, EF 16-35mm F/2.8L III, EF 24-70mm F/2.8L II, EF 28-135mm F/3.5-5.6 IS USM, EF 50 F/1.8 STM

-Demetrius

Current Gear: EOS 5D Mark IV, EF F/2.8 Trinity, EF 50mm F/1.8 STM, EF 85mm F/1.8 USM, 470EX-AI & 600EX II-RT

That might be true to some extent, depending on the agreement with the OEM. Reverse engineering without an agreement would be a breach of patent. You will see that as a standard clause of any product or servise you use. Read a few licesnse agreements for software for example.

cheers, TREVOR

Yes, reverse engineering violates the license (hardware or software).  And once the license is invalid, various consequences would kick in.

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

deebatman316
Authority
Authority

I have an old Sigma 17-50mm F2.8 EX DC OS HSM which worked fine on my old 40D but when I tried to use it on the 90D it caused an error message. I ultimately bought the 5D Mark IV instead of buying a new APS-C lens. I already owned a few Full Frame L lenses. I get to put them to full use now. Did Canon do the same thing with the EF and EF-S lens mount too. No 3rd parties make EF-S lenses they make EF lenses with an APS-C image circle instead.

-Demetrius

-Demetrius

Tronhard
Elite
Elite

Demetrius wrote: "I thought 3rd parties reversed engineered the electronics in the lens mount to allow AF, IS, aperture control, lens metering and distance info for TTL to work correctly. That's why there are some incompatibilities between old lenses on new bodies. "
The reason that older lenses don't work so well with new bodies is their initial design, including firmware (although in come cases that can be improved for more expensive lenses) and the motor speed to actually achieve focus.  Nano-USM motors on the new generations of lenses, for example, are much faster at acquiring focus than older USM motors of generations before.   This applies to native lenses as well as 3rd party units.

cheers, TREVOR

Announcements