cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tripod Collar seized on 100-400 ii

ivejar
Contributor

Has anyone out there had the tripod collar on the 100-400 ii seize up? Mine won't budge. I've tried everything I can think of and just wondered if anyone else has had success getting it to move.

I've got a workshop coming up in 3 weeks and don't have the time to ship it off for repair.

16 REPLIES 16

ivejar, can you update as to the solution of this problem? I've just encountered the same issue. Bob

I still do not know what happened to the collar, but believe I damaged it further trying to get it loose, so don't go there. Luckily I had insurance because the lens had to be repaired by Canon, took a month to get it back at a cost of almost $700.

Ok,thanks.

@ivejar wrote:

I still do not know what happened to the collar, but believe I damaged it further trying to get it loose, so don't go there. Luckily I had insurance because the lens had to be repaired by Canon, took a month to get it back at a cost of almost $700.

Beware of overtightening the collar locking screw.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

@ivejar wrote:
I don't want to remove it. I just want to rotate it so that I can shoot portrait when using my monopod. It won't budge, but it is supposed to rotate similar to the 70-200.

Not exactly like the 70-200mm.  Here is page 15, which is referenced in the above illustration.

Lens_EF_100-400mm_TripodRingMount.PNG

It is supposed to offer some resistance, and not turn smoothy and continously.  It is supposed to click as it turns. 

Here I was, planning to go and pick up one of these tomorrow from my favorite superstore.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

ivejar
Contributor

ivejar
Contributor
Thanks all, but my collar won't rotate even a little. I've loosened the knob all the way, even removed it to see if some dirt might have gotten in, but it will not rotate. My sister had this lens also. Her collar rotates just fine, so I know there is a problem with mine. I was hoping someone here might have an idea that I've not tried.
Announcements