cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The Curious Case of the EF 28-300L IS USM...

Tronhard
VIP
VIP

I have the venerable, and unique Canon EF 28-300L IS USM super-zoom lens.  It seems to be in perfect condition and has been so for some time since I bought it about 10 years ago.  Recently, when I began shooting with it using my FF cameras: EOS 5DMkIII, MkIV, 5DsR, and in each case it takes one or two images and displays the dreaded 01 error: Cannot communicate with the lens, clean contact. Because the lens displays the same issue on several cameras, it is logical to assume that the lens has a fault.

So that is what I have done (several times) is clean the sensors on both camera and bodies: they don't seem particularly worn and are bright and shiny. 

HOWEVER!  If I put the lens on my crop sensor cameras: 60D, 7DI, 7DII, 80D, 90D, M5 (with adapter), and the FF R5 (with adapter) it performs perfectly, working through the various zoom and shutter speed ranges and at high speed continuous shots.

That, I find somewhat confusing.  I looked at the contacts and compared them to other lenses, and there are exactly the same number of contacts and in similar condition, yet they work fine! 

I am throwing this out there to the brains trust and any Sherlock Holmes!!!

cheers, TREVOR

The mark of good photographer is less what they hold in their hand, it's more what they hold in their head;
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris
19 REPLIES 19

Hi Ernie and thanks for you input. 🙂 This lens is part of my "legacy" collection and not used for my day-to-day photography, but I like to use this gear from time to time for the enjoyment and to make sure it works - obviously, I have found an issue.
I think the next step, as you say, is to consider sending it to Canon: if they will even take a look at it...  The thing is, that even if they refuse, I can still use it on my crop bodies and my new gear, so it's not like I can't use it at all - it's more of a slightly annoying itch I want to scratch! 

cheers, TREVOR

The mark of good photographer is less what they hold in their hand, it's more what they hold in their head;
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

I am going to take a WAG and assume it has something to do with signal level and buffering. When connected directly to the camera the lens does not have enough oomph to drive the interface. The adapter has a buffer and does not load down the lens as much so that it amplifies the signal as it goes through.

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

Here’s my two cents.  Your observations are consistent with a possible firmware issue.  It works with APS-C bodies of various vintages but not with some full frame bodies that are more recently released   

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Thanks Bill, but I tried looking for a firmware update when this started and there is none available for this lens, and my cameras are all up to date with their firmware according to the sites.  Good try though! 🙂

cheers, TREVOR

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"Your observations are consistent with a possible firmware issue."

I like that thought. Still requires a trip to Canon service.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

It may only require camera firmware updates. 

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"It may only require camera firmware updates."

Oh yeah, right, now I don't like the idea so much.

EB

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"I think the next step, as you say, is to consider sending it to Canon: if they will even take a look at it... "

It' still for sale on the market, isn't it? I would assume Canon has to still service it.

EB

Canon NZ is not as forthcoming as the US version.  I asked them and they simply said that they would look at it but would not commit to fixing it, rather disappointing I thought.  They said it could be dirty contacts (already cleaned) or anything, which is rather vague.  I will likely send it in to them for evaluation, but if they refuse to service it, at least I know it works with a lot of cameras!

cheers, TREVOR

Tronhard
VIP
VIP

Well, a footnote to this post.  Initially, when I contacted the Canon NZ service desk they said to bring it in for an evaluation.  Then they declined to do so.  It turns out that while the Australian branch sells and supports the 28-300 currently, NZ does not - which is odd considering the warranties issued for gear sold in this region apply to Oz and NZ.  So, I shall stick with using the lens of APS-C and via the adapter on my R5 and R6 units.  Not impressed with Canon NZ though...

cheers, TREVOR

Announcements