cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should I upgrade my 70-200 F4 to 70-200 F2.8 (Both non IS) ??

Avivos
Apprentice

Hello.

I'm planning to open a side bussiness of children and families photography.

I'll shoot outdoor , sometimes in golden hour and usually in forests etc. (relativly dark places).

In addition, Im planning to open a home studio to take photos of cake smash , 1 year bdays etc. 

Right now, I'm using my 5D MKII with Canon 85 1.8 + 70-200 F4 (Non IS) for the outdoor pictures.

I'm thinking of replacing my 70-200 F4 with used but excellent condition 70-200 F2.8 (Both NON IS) by adding 200 $ extra. 

One of the reasons is because would be able to shoot in faster shutter speed.

anyway, I don't want to use a tripod because I dont think I would be able to use it while I'll take photos of children outdoor.. 

What do you think?  Smiley Frustrated

THANKS 

6 REPLIES 6

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend
It is hard to argue against a faster lens. But, a good argument can be made that you need to expand your range of focal lengths, too.

If I were upgrading, then my first choice would be the f/2.8 IS II or III versions. If I wanted to expand my range of focal lengths then I would want a 24-70mm.
--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Avivos
Apprentice
Hi. I have also the 24-105 f4 and 50 1.8.
I can't afford the f2.8 IS budgetwise...

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"I'm using my 5D MKII with Canon 85 1.8 + 70-200 F4 (Non IS) ..."

For what you stated I would not change anything.  If you are in business you do things for business reasons. The lens you are considering is one stop faster.  Is one stop faster a good business reason to upgrade when what you have is working?

A lens you should consider to further expand you "business" ability is one of the 24-70mm range zooms. Lets consider the Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS II USM Lens.  It is way more versitle than the ef 85mm f1.8.  It is f4 exactly like the 70-200mil you have. You could sell the 85 to help fund the 24-105mm.

I have the f2.8 versions of the 24-70mil and 70-200mil but this FL is what I use for 80% of my professional work. I also have the ultra fantastic ef 85mm f1.2L.  I use it maybe 1% of the time.  Now if I am just funning around or playing with photography I use it a lot.  So for you, is it business or is it play?

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Avivos
Apprentice
Thanks for your answer. The "bussiness" is kinda new and I saw that when I used my 70-200 f4 the photos were not as sharp. Basically it was becuase of the not so fast shutter speed I had to take the photos with, otherwise the photos would not have enough light..
In addition, I would like to have the bokeh it gives in f2.8... And as long as the upgrade costs me about 200 bucks I say to myself, why not...

Your decision but keep in mind you are talking one stop.  One stop is not a deal maker or a deal breaker. If your photos were not "as sharp" that one stop won't make a big difference. Not at all.  You need to look else where for the non-shap problem.

"costs me about 200 bucks I say to myself, why not..."

I agree, why not for $200 bucks just don't expect that one stop to change much.  Your technique and post editing is the place to look.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend
Buy a speedlite, instead.
--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."
Announcements