cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Replacing weather seals on L lenses

JohnLo
Contributor

Is it possible to purchase the rear rubber weather seal for an L lenses from Canon and replace it myself? How hard is it to unscrew the rear metal mount and put it back without screwing up any alignment? I'm looking at a used EF 24-105mm F/4L IS VI but I assume the technique would be the same for others.

Thanks

10 REPLIES 10

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

Give canon a call at 1-800-OK-CANON. They can direct you to the parts folks.

I think the part is YA2-3463.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

" How hard is it to unscrew the rear metal mount and put it back without screwing up any alignment?"

I doubt you will mess any alignment up by removing the mount.  But if you have to ask this question it tells me you probably should leave it to Canon service.  BTW, the fact that rubber ring is worn out or missing suggests to me there might be some rough use involved with that lens. Might make a C&C a good idea and Canon will replace the seal in that process.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

ebiggs1:

I consider myself to be a savvy engineer but I always try to ask someone first who has done it before or see if there is a YouTube video. The 24-105mm lens I first asked about was sold on a used camera website before I got an answer here. I do have an EF 2x II extender that I bought cheap ($100) that also could use a new seal. If I was to send it in somewhere to replace the seals I might as well buy a new one.

John

@JohnLo,

Right, and if you take your time into consideration, any money you might be saving has just cost you the difference of buying new or paying Canon or Midwest Camera repair to install the seal.

That is Ernie's (ebiggs1) point.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

" I do have an EF 2x II extender that I bought cheap ..."

Just a note, perhaps you already are aware of, the 2x tel-con will not fit an ef 24-105mm f4L lens.

EB

Thanks to everyone for their assistance.

The 2x has nothing to do with the 24-105 except they were both cheap and needed a new seal. I never did get the zoom since someone else bought it while I was asking my question here. The 2x goes with my 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II.

I should point out that even the most senior Canon technician had to start with one lens somewhere. Nothing ventured, nothing gained as long as you can afford to have something go wrong. I assumed changing the rubber ring is not quite in the same league as tearing down a lens to remove internal dust or change a circuit board.

"...  as long as you can afford to have something go wrong."

With that thought, I totally agree, as long as you know.  As to the first lens the greatest Canon tech ever touched, you can bet it was after many hours of schooling by a fully trained instructor. I can tell you, I have never attempted it nor done it so I can not say how easy or difficult it might be.

EB

Although the comparison is not perfect, this is the beauty of YouTube videos. There are many things I never would have attempted regarding the repair or upgrading of appliances or electronics without watching someone else doing it previously. One of the downfalls of modern electonics is that a lot of stuff is made to be discarded rather than repaired so opening it up without breaking it is more of a problem than the actual repair.

mariah1902
Contributor
One think that I must say to you is that never ever open up your camera yourself and talking about putting that rubber on by yourself is a pretty risky job. The rubber has to be set with the maximum tightness and accurate pressure. Only those who have done it before or have already made mistake doing it can do it. Do not try this by yourself.
Announcements