cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rebel T7 Additional Telephoto Lens

Hamop54
Contributor

I have the Rebel T7 with an 18-55 mm zoom lense. I want to add the EF 75-300mm f/4-5.6 III USM @$234.99. It's not a $1200 lense but it seems like a match for the camera based on the retail price range.

Any thoughts on this?

I got the Rebel as a gift and have been enjoying ever since. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi Dan:

The 55-250 lens that you mentioned in your response is the one I would recommend.  That should do the job very well and it is an economical solution that has good optics.  

I would not recommend an extension tube.  They are normally used for extreme closeup work, such as macro photography.  What is normally used to extend the focal length of a lens is an extender, but an extender will not work on either of the lenses I suggested and would be much more expensive in any case.  It's hard for me to assess how big the train will be in your image, but the magnification factor of the 55-250 is obviously going to be 5x over that of your 18-55, FWIW.   I would recommend just getting the 55-250 and see how that works for you.

Reviews from reliable and respected sources are valid, and I do offer only valid ones.  Ernie has a thing about anyone's opinion but his own and he is entitled to that.  I research carefully before purchasing gear and in 40 years it has worked for me - in the end we must each make our own decision.

Good luck with your grandkids.

cheers, TREVOR

"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

View solution in original post

28 REPLIES 28

Tronhard
Elite
Elite

Honestly, I would seriously recommend avoid purchasing the EF 75-300 lens series.  They are Canon's worst optics and lack image stabilization.  The best matches for getting longer shots are the EF-S 55-250 (either STM or USM versions) or the excellent EF 70-300 IS USM lenses - both have image stabilization and good optics.  I did a review of the 70-300 lenses AT THIS LINK   The 55-250 is an excellent kit lens and there are lots available out there second-hand - Canon have these on their refurbished site, essentially as new with a warranty - see THIS LINK there are also EF 70-300 units from time to time, but not when I just looked but HERE is a link, and you can select to be notified when one is available.

Much depends on the subjects you seek to capture.  Can you advise what you will be aiming to get this new lens for and what you will produce - i.e. images for posting on-line or for digital display, or for large prints.

cheers, TREVOR

"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

Hello Trevor,

I was planning to photograph my grandkids indoors portrait or action shots at soccer & basketball games. Also landscape scenery photos for digital display on my computer or for posting on Facebook.

There's a railroad across the street and I wanted to photograph the approaching train from a street overpass at about 1500 ft or so from the train which is traveling at about 25 MPH. (40KMH)

I've been copying the photos onto my computer and resizing them using ViewNX2, then copying the smaller photos onto my smartphone & sending to friends & family via text messages. Of course the original photos are saved on the SD card in the camera.

My objective to have more magnification than the lense I already have.

Is this one of the lenses you recommended? : EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS STM @ $299.99 US
It's more in the price range of what I wanted to spend.

And what about an extension tube: Would that increase the magnification of the lense I already have?

Thanks for providing all the info.

Dan

Hi Dan:

The 55-250 lens that you mentioned in your response is the one I would recommend.  That should do the job very well and it is an economical solution that has good optics.  

I would not recommend an extension tube.  They are normally used for extreme closeup work, such as macro photography.  What is normally used to extend the focal length of a lens is an extender, but an extender will not work on either of the lenses I suggested and would be much more expensive in any case.  It's hard for me to assess how big the train will be in your image, but the magnification factor of the 55-250 is obviously going to be 5x over that of your 18-55, FWIW.   I would recommend just getting the 55-250 and see how that works for you.

Reviews from reliable and respected sources are valid, and I do offer only valid ones.  Ernie has a thing about anyone's opinion but his own and he is entitled to that.  I research carefully before purchasing gear and in 40 years it has worked for me - in the end we must each make our own decision.

Good luck with your grandkids.

cheers, TREVOR

Thanks again. The grandkids are one big reason why I enjoy the camera so much. As far as the train goes it keeps showing up at different times so all I've gotten so far is a picture of the empty track. 

Good luck with your choice, the grandkids and those train schedules! 😉

cheers, TREVOR

Hi Trevor,

I purchased the lense you suggested and it's very nice. 

When I view a picture taken with this lense at 250mm, on my PC monitor it looks similar to what I saw looking through my 7X binoculars.

Thanks for your assistance.

Dan

Hi Dan:

I am really glad the recommendation worked for you and you can get results you enjoy.  Good luck with the trains and the grandkids! 🙂

cheers, TREVOR

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

Dan,

In spite of Trevor's advice many thousands of folks use the EF 75-300mm f/4-5.6 III USM and love it. It is the lens designed for the T7 and your segment of photographers. IMHO, if I were buying today I would opt for the EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS STM over the EF 75-300mm f/4-5.6 III USM. It is a better lens but you will lose 50mm of focal length. A little more expensive for a little less FL but a little better IQ.

Here's the bottom line Dan, most people are not pixel peppers. They want to take photos and snapshots. They want to share them on social media like Facebook. And for that purpose the EF 75-300mm f/4-5.6 III USM fills the bill completely. Would Sports Illustrated or NatGeo use that lens? Probably not but they aren't most people.

I taught DSLR101 classes for a while and in the class of new to photography folks most had a Rebel with the one or two kit lenses. The EF 75-300mm f/4-5.6 (whatever model) was one of the lenses. As a group they all were  satisfied with it.

Go to a camera store like Best Buy and check it out before you buy. Check out both lenses. Pick the one that suits you. Whatever you do, stop reading the reviews. They are less than helpful.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

The reviews are helpful in that I get some good info and lots of different model numbers. 

I can go back to the posts and use the info in making a decision. Thanks for responding.

Announcements