cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RF100mm F2.8L able to do MF with 1:2?

MLTDDS
Apprentice

Hi all,

I plan to use the above lens on an RP body for dental photography. On my older EF 100 macro, I was able to select MF with 1:2 (turning the lens to select this magnification) to keep my shots at the same distance and keep before/after a consistent. Am I able to do this with the new RF lens. If so, how? Thanks for your help!

7 REPLIES 7

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

What camera?

Yes a magnification scale is handy. If you can't get the camera to show the magnification in the view finder, you might have to figure out the correct focus distance and set that manually. Note, that assuming the same sensor size, it will be the same distance as your EF 100 mm macro.

Canon RP full frame sensor

You can set the camera to display the focus distance:

Untitled.jpg

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

Here's some ideas for you.  Using setting 3 will give you MFD of 10.3 and max focus to 19.38in.  If you are going to use a tripod, the I'd grab the E(B) mount

shadowsports_0-1691851085795.png

Tripod Mount Ring & Adapter E(B) (canon.com)

shadowsports_1-1691851149405.png

I know its a little expensive, but 2 cavities will cover its cost.

The RP does not appear to have a mag scale.  Mag varies based on the focus distance to the subject.  It does have a focus distance display which can help you guesstimate the mag level.  

shadowsports_2-1691852651918.png

shadowsports_3-1691852739462.png

Hope this helps.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

MLTDDS
Apprentice

Thanks a lot for the ideas. So if I’m reading this correctly, it looks like turn on the setting KVBarkley mentioned so the focus distance is displayed on screen. This will allow me to shoot at about 1.25ft which is 1:2 based on the chart shown by shadowsports. This should keep things very consistent as far as framing before/after shots. Also I’m assuming I only need to switch to position 3(.86-1.64ft) on the lens if leaving it set to AF? 

Thanks alot. 

No, you can't auto focus. Once the focus changes you are no longer at 1:2, which was the same way your EF 100 macro worked.

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

Yes.  I wasn't clear.  In MF you will dial in the mag based on the distance to the subject as you stated.  @kvbarkley provided the menu option for showing the focus distance display.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

click here to view the gallery
Announcements