cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RF100-500mm F4.5-7.1 L IS USM Tripod Ring & Tighten Ring Issues

mikesylvia87
Apprentice

The tripod ring for the lens will not tighten enough to keep it from sill rotating.  Any ideas?

Also the tighten ring for the lens zoom will not stop it from sliding to 500 when hanging around my neck. 

Appreciate any ideas or fixes.

Purchased Aug 2022

5 REPLIES 5

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

This might address part of the issue:

Solved: RF100-500mm F4.5-7.1 L IS USM Lens - Canon Community

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Thank you for your responses. This is not a manual reading event. The collar is malfunctioning and I talked to Kianan yesterday and I am shipping the lens back to them since it is under warranty. With the Zoom tightening ring at the front that’s also malfunctioning as it should not allow the lens to slide back-and-forth. If it’s under warranty ship both items. Likely they will be replaced. 

@mikesylvia87 wrote:

The tripod ring for the lens will not tighten enough to keep it from sill rotating.  Any ideas?

Also the tighten ring for the lens zoom will not stop it from sliding to 500 when hanging around my neck. 

Appreciate any ideas or fixes.

Purchased Aug 2022

I've seen another thread on this forum with the same complaint about the lens collar, including a video at some point. Mine has worked perfectly for almost a year on a Wimberly II gimbal. It is poorly explained in the manual and there are some steps you need to take. If you do it right and it is still loose, rotates in the collar, or flies open, IMO, it is deflective.

Without the lens and just the collar in hand, turn the knob counterclockwise until you hear it click. Now close the collar, it should click into place. Tighten the knob until you feel resistance. Now slowly loosen it while pulling up on the knob, it's spring loaded and will pull up at a certain point to release the latch. Once you feel it pop up, stop. That should release the latch and open the collar. Try to keep the knob where it just starts to release the latch, which should be three or four turns from where you started (the clicking). Now just attach it to your lens by using the alignment marks on the collar and lens. The marks aren't critical but they do have benefits. 1) They keep you from turning your lens in the foot. 2) Assure you have the collar properly on the lens. Now, when you tighten down the foot, just tighten it until you feel it stop. You can take it a bit further, but my lens doesn't move or wobble at all even before it's that far. When removing it, just loosen it while pulling up on the nob until you feel it lift. The collar should open to release the lens. There is no need to fully loosen the knob to where it starts to click. That makes it fully open and your lens will not be supported.

As mentioned, if your collar is loose after tightening as I've described, it is deflective. There are a couple of rough rubber gaskets that are in the front and back edges of the collar that grip the lens. I guess there may be a possibility that they may be worn or deficient in some of these cases, but that is just a guess.

As for the lens barrel tightening ring, if you turn it all the way right and your barrel still creeps, it needs repair. Mine holds tight at only 3/4 way round.

Newton

EOS R5, R6, R6II. RF 15-35 f/2.8L, 50mm f/1.2L, 85mm f/1.2L, 100mm f/2.8L Macro, 100-400mm, 100-500mm L, 1.4X.

I have the exact same issue with the collar. I followed your instruction and it's still the same. Since my lens is within the warranty period, I'm planning to ship it back to Canon for repair. Could I just ship the collar without the lens itself, since it's a much safer option? Thanks a lot!

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

As far as what needs to go back, you'll have to ask Canon when the repair request is created.    

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Announcements