cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RF lens comparable to the EF 85MM F/1.8 or adapter

dancephoto
Contributor

Hello, I have a R50. I just purchased an EF 85MM 1.8 But realized it would need an adapter to fit. Can anyone recommend a RF lens that would be similar? should i just get an adapter?. Looking to do portraits but also low light dance recital photos, so movement, light changes, etc. I am not a professional, at all. So looking to spend no more that 500. Thank you

19 REPLIES 19

Yes that is what I used, but from the back of the theater I could not get clear faces. 

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

Post a sample or two of what you got. It may not have been the lens's fault. Leave the exif data on the samples.

A little more info how far back and how dark is the auditorium? Is this a dance contest?

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

First let me be clear all photographic gear has its limits. Its possible you have exceeded the limit of your gear. This means a high quality or level camera and more professional lenses are the answer. Of course these don't come cheap so another question is how much do you want to spend on getting top quality photos.

As an example Canon has the Canon RF 28-70mm f/2 L USM Lens which is the fastest lens of this type made. However it is nearly $3000 dollars. Plus there are better cameras than the R50 for shooting in challenging light conditions but again they aren't cheap. The expected EOS R5 Mk II as an example but again at nearly $3000 bucks.

But first u/l some samples of what you got. That will help determine if your current gear can do the job. Let's hope it can!

EB

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

Do you have a lens budget?  I would be inclined to recommends the RF 24-240mm, but I would also like to see a sample photo. The RF 24-240mm lens does not have a wide aperture, so it may not be suitable for your shooting scenario.  Do not use any UV or CPL filters indoors.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

I rented a 70-200 4, and will be trying out the 2.8. So much better!

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

For indoor performing arts, when it's dark, you really need to have to have a fast lens f2.8 or better.  

Unless you are in the first 3 rows and center, you will not see faces clearly, and unless your subject(s) are extremely well illuminated, you will not get many keepers.  You have to use a fast enough shutter to freeze the action.  When you do, things can get very dark, without the ability to capture some additional light.  I often shoot with a 70-200 f2.8 at recitals, ballet performances, etc.  This way you can be a few rows back, set a fast enough shutter and still get shots when shooting from the dark audience on to a spotlight illuminated subject on the stage. 

Every shooting situation is different, but counting on the venue's lighting to get good photos is often a stretch.  

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"For indoor performing arts, when it's dark, you really need to have to have a fast lens f2.8 or better."

"Need" or nice to have? A good photographer works with what they have and the conditions presented to them. It is certainly possible to get decent shots with a lens that is slower than f2.8, a lot slower. These were all shot with a lens that was either f5.6 or slower f6.3.

123 copy.jpg456 copy.jpg789 copy.jpg

Yes there was a tripod and yes I did pick the spots. And Yes, a fast action scene was not going to happen.

EB

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

A testament to your skills Mr Biggs. 🙂

All your yes's let me know the faster lens is a good choice.  Niece from the 8th row.  No tripod, extra effort and she was bustin' a move.  If this is nice to have, I'll take it.  😉

RF 70-200 f2.8RF 70-200 f2.8

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

She is adorable, its so fantastic to have the "memories" since they only happen once and are gone so very quickly. Keep it up you and others will enjoy for a long time to come as she will I am sure.

EB

EdoRF
Apprentice

The simplest solution would be the EF to RF adapter.  I would recommend the Canon made/branded one.  It's not that expensive and every EF type lens I've used it on works well.

https://www.usa.canon.com/shop/p/mount-adapter-ef-eos-r?color=Black&type=New

click here to view the gallery
Announcements