cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RF 800mm Tripod collar

PhuDorje
Apprentice

does anyone know if Canon plans to make tripod collar for the 800/600mm RF lenses

Or maybe a third party manufacturer?

Thanks

Bill

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

PhuDorje
Apprentice
Thanks Rodger I thought it was unlikely. I have limited need for 800mm but was planning a couple of photo trips where I planned to rent the EF 800mm. Then couldn't help but notice the RF 800 was half the price of the two rentals. And much lighter. I have the RF 800 and and other gear and now just waiting for B&H to ship my EOS R5 the Friday.

Like you mentioned, I really wanted the collar for quick changes between landscape and portrait. I have a RRS L-Bracket and long lens support on backorder and will try to make the most of that.

Thanks again
Bill

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

wq9nsc
Authority
Authority

These are both designed to be very lightweight lenses with their f11 maximum aperture so the camera doesn't have any issue supporting the lens with the tripod mounted to the camera like it would if they were fast long glass.  I doubt if Canon will release a tripod collar for these and the design really doesn't have a good place for one to mount.  When the faster RF long teles are released they will need and have tripod collars.  These two are designed to get you a lot of reach at very low cost.

The biggest issue I can see with these not having their own tripod collars is you can't easily switch from landscape to portrait orientation with a typical tripod setup.  There are always tradeoffs involved.  I use a EF 800 f5.6 and a couple of stops faster aperture results in a lens that weighs over 10 pounds and just the carbon fiber lens hood for it costs as much as a RF 600, I can handhold the EF 800 for a short time but you could hold the RF 800 all day without pain 🙂

Rodger

EF 800 5DS.jpg

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video

PhuDorje
Apprentice
Thanks Rodger I thought it was unlikely. I have limited need for 800mm but was planning a couple of photo trips where I planned to rent the EF 800mm. Then couldn't help but notice the RF 800 was half the price of the two rentals. And much lighter. I have the RF 800 and and other gear and now just waiting for B&H to ship my EOS R5 the Friday.

Like you mentioned, I really wanted the collar for quick changes between landscape and portrait. I have a RRS L-Bracket and long lens support on backorder and will try to make the most of that.

Thanks again
Bill

You are welcome Bill and I hope B&H and their shipper get your new R5 to you soon.

The ability to shift camera orientation is very useful with the long telephoto but I suspect Canon would have had to beef up the 600 and 800 RF lenses a bit more to allow them to solidly support a camera when mounted by a tripod ring and that would have added weight which they clearly wanted to avoid.

I am heading out early Wednesday to an eagle wintering spot with the EF 800 and I will experiment using the 1.4X with it and I suspect the ability to rotate the camera orientation is going to be important with that combo. 1,120mm combined may be too much lens for the eagles depending upon how close they get but at least I will be prepared

Rodger

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video

jsh
Apprentice

This is very disappointing.  i was just getting ready to order the lens until I found out there is no way to change the orientation from lanscape to portrait when mounted on a monopod.  Hope Canon remedies this.

@jsh wrote:

This is very disappointing.  i was just getting ready to order the lens until I found out there is no way to change the orientation from lanscape to portrait when mounted on a monopod.  Hope Canon remedies this.

Remedy what?  There is nothing that needs to be corrected.  This is how the lenses were designed. 

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

A f11 lens is unappealing to me in the first place so the tripod mount isn't a factor. A f11 wide open aperture limits the lens usability quite a bit before you get to the likely necessary tripod/monopod mount.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

jsh
Apprentice
You answered your own question.
Announcements