cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RF 70-200 F4 L IS USM lens focus and shutter problems, very weird, please help!

darina
Apprentice

Yesterday I wanted to use my RF 70-200 lens with my R5 body. All settings were as usual, and yet the lens wouldn't focus. The screen displayed "manual focus", despite the fact that I double checked the switch on the lens (on AF) and camera settings (also AF). I exchanged lenses with my R7 body to see if the issue was the body or the lens. Another lens worked just fine with the R5 body, but when I connected the 70-200 to my R7, the shutter started working really oddly. It was very slow, as if the exposure time was one second and more - it was set for at least 1/125. On both bodies, my shutter speed was set on high, yet on R7 it was very slow and loud. 
What could be the issue here? Any ideas?

6 REPLIES 6

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

What shooting mode(s) are you using?  Test both bodies using the default [AUTO] mode for each camera?  Try using other lenses. 

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Tronhard
VIP
VIP

Hi and welcome to the forum:

What objects were you trying to focus on and what settings were you using please, mode, focus points etc.?

cheers, TREVOR

The mark of good photographer is less what they hold in their hand, it's more what they hold in their head;
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

Is this a new lens?  New behavior?  Did it work previously?   Has something changed?  Has the lens been dropped, etc.  Sorry for all the questions.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.7.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Hello! This is not a new lens or new bodies, it hasn't been dropped, it's my favourite lens. This behaviour stopped after I changed the mode from High Speed Continuous Plus to High Speed Continuous, but I'm afraid it might come up again

First option when things go bonkers is a full reset of the camera. It almost always clesrs it up.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

Review this section of your manual, including the "caution" section.  The lens meets the standards for H, and H+ without needing FW update. 

Canon : Product Manual : EOS R5 : Selecting the Drive Mode (start.canon)

There are certain conditions that may keep full 12 FPS from being achieved.  A weakened battery and/or battery with low charge can also affect performance. 

Start with a reset as Ernie suggests for additional troubleshooting, and confirm your battery health. 

Reference:

Lens: FW version 1.1.1 is available as of 12/22. - Note is for reference only.

Canon Support for RF70-200mm F4 L IS USM | Canon U.S.A., Inc.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.7.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Announcements