cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RF 600mm f/4 rattling?

SportsPhotoMN
Apprentice

I recently purchased a brand new RF 600mm f/4, there's some audible rattling from inside the lens when there isn't a camera connected. I connect a camera and turn it on, the rattling stops. Camera goes off and gets detached, back to rattling. Is this normal?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

deebatman316
Authority
Authority

No this is NOT normal something may be broken inside the lens. Is the lens shutting down the camera if so try a different lens on the camera.

-Demetrius

Current Gear: EOS 5D Mark IV, EF F/2.8 Trinity, EF 50mm F/1.8 STM, EF 85mm F/1.8 USM, 470EX-AI & 600EX II-RT

Retired Gear: EOS 40D

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

deebatman316
Authority
Authority

No this is NOT normal something may be broken inside the lens. Is the lens shutting down the camera if so try a different lens on the camera.

-Demetrius

Current Gear: EOS 5D Mark IV, EF F/2.8 Trinity, EF 50mm F/1.8 STM, EF 85mm F/1.8 USM, 470EX-AI & 600EX II-RT

Nope, doesn't shut down the camera and functions normally. Thanks for the reply, I'll see if I can get in touch with Canon support.

Are you shaking this lens. The rattling you may be hearing is the lens Image Stabilization. Does the lens have IS (Image Stabilization). This is usually denoted by "IS" in the lens name.

-Demetrius

wq9nsc
Authority
Authority

Google RF lenses IS and you will find that this is a characteristic of most of the new RF lenses equipped with image stabilization.  It is the way Canon designed them with an IS system that isn't locked or heavily damped when turned off.

Rodger

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

I think your lens is fine.  Its the IS.  The RF lenses are built differently.  They rattle.  If the lens and IS functions normally when the lens is connected to a camera and powered with IS on, its fine.  😀

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements