cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RF 28mm 2.8 vs RF 24mm 1.8 for travel?

mannap36
Apprentice

Hi all. I’ve had a Canon R8 for almost a year. So far the RF 35mm 1.8 has been by far my most used lens for general day to day purposes.

However after a couple trips under my belt, I’ve found myself in situations where I wished I had something a bit wider, such as in more confined spaces or when wanting to take a photo of architecture or landscapes.

I have a trip planned to Italy where I know for sure I’ll want to take shots wider than 35mm. I’m currently looking at the RF 28mm pancake and the RF 24mm IS STM. The 28mm is obviously attractive given how tiny, light and cheap it is, but I wonder if it will be wide enough?

The 24mm seems slightly higher end, but has pretty mixed reviews while the 28mm has mostly positive ones, so I’m not sure which way to go.

5 REPLIES 5

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

IMHO, I don't like any of the pancake lenses so I would buy the 24mil. However even that not a factor I would still buy the 24mm because 35mm vs 28mm isn't all that much wider. Of course it is wider but the 24mil will be very much wider.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Seriously? If you don't know, you should by now - I shoot with a Rebel T7i, and I absolutely LOVE my pancake lenses! I'm also not a "real" photographer. 😂
I took this a couple of years ago with my EF-S 24mm f/2.8 STM at my sister's wedding:

Dad & SistersDad & Sisters

@ebiggs1 wrote:

IMHO, I don't like any of the pancake lenses so I would buy the 24mil. However even that not a factor I would still buy the 24mm because 35mm vs 28mm isn't all that much wider. Of course it is wider but the 24mil will be very much wider.

Hi Ernie. I'm curious what you don't like about a pancake lens. They do look a little strange on a 1D body, but do they perform any different than an equivalent standard size lens with same FL? 

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

"They do look a little strange on a 1D body, ..."

Yes they certainly do that. They look ridiculous and when you are selling yourself your equipment is part of that package. To get people to pay top dollar they expect to see what looks like a professional photographer with professional gear. Otherwise they could get uncle Bob to do the shoot with his Rebel for free.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Aurora4233
Contributor

Our RF 28mm paired with my wife's R8 is our go-to lightweight travel configuration and I've always loved the pictures it takes, however it's hardly wide compared to the RF 35mm.  I decided to post to you because if you're looking for something complimentary to your 35 for 'confined spaces' you really need to be looking at the RF 16mm (I picked ours up for $220-ish on Canon refurb).

The 16 is comfortably wider than the 28 and significantly wider than your 35.  The 28 has it over all of them in size and weight so I'd still recommend picking it up for travel but I couldn't recommend it (or the 24) as your wide alternative to your 35.

I've had an RF 10-20mm on backorder with B&H since before the holidays to open up confined spaces but I've been cruising comfortably with the 16mm in the meantime.

Fingers crossed for you!

(These pics are all R8 & 28 pancake, I completely enjoy what I get out of it but it is only kinda-sorta wide)

ABQ MDG & Sandia 15 Aug 23 0115.JPGABQ MDG & Sandia 15 Aug 23 0133.JPGABQ MDG & Sandia 15 Aug 23 0212.JPGABQ MDG & Sandia 15 Aug 23 0258.JPGGolden Pizza Feed 15 Sep 230087.jpg20230812175608_CAR70544.jpg

Announcements