cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RF 24-105mm Flipped the [Focus/Control] switch to "Focus" but no effect in any mode.

blouse
Contributor

Camera: EOS R8
Lens: RF24–105mm F4-7.1 IS STM

On my lens body, there's a [Focus/Control] switch. If I switch it to "Focus", I expect auto focus to stop on my camera, and I can turn the focus ring to manual focus. (this is the behavior when I use my old EF lens with adapter ring on the same camera body).

However, what actually happens is, auto focus still works, and turning the focus ring does nothing. I tried Av, Tv, M, etc, there's no difference.

Is there anything else I need to do?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

One of Ken Rockwell's complaints about the R system.

You have to set the manual focus mode in a camera menu:

"By default, there is no always-responsive instant manual-focus override as we take for granted in our DSLRs.

EOS R cameras need a menu setting changed for manual-focus override, otherwise the focus ring is always ignored in AF.

Find the "Lens electronic AF" option in your AF menu (AF 4 in EOS R5 or CAMERA 8 in EOS RP), and set it to either "One‑Shot‑>enabled" or "One‑Shot‑>enabled (magnify)."

Now manual focus override works if you turn the ring while continuing to hold the shutter halfway, but only after focus locks in ONE SHOT."

https://kenrockwell.com/canon/eos-r/lenses/24-105mm-stm.htm

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

One of Ken Rockwell's complaints about the R system.

You have to set the manual focus mode in a camera menu:

"By default, there is no always-responsive instant manual-focus override as we take for granted in our DSLRs.

EOS R cameras need a menu setting changed for manual-focus override, otherwise the focus ring is always ignored in AF.

Find the "Lens electronic AF" option in your AF menu (AF 4 in EOS R5 or CAMERA 8 in EOS RP), and set it to either "One‑Shot‑>enabled" or "One‑Shot‑>enabled (magnify)."

Now manual focus override works if you turn the ring while continuing to hold the shutter halfway, but only after focus locks in ONE SHOT."

https://kenrockwell.com/canon/eos-r/lenses/24-105mm-stm.htm

blouse
Contributor

Can confirm this is the right answer. Thank you!

Announcements