cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RF 24-105 mm F4 L IS USM lens making audible noises during AF

Subho
Apprentice

Hi, 

I am new here as well as a new Canon camera/lens owner. I got a Canon EOS R6 together with a 24-105 RF lens a few weeks ago. About a week ago, I started to notice a fairly audible noise when using the camera with the 24-105. I think the noise is coming from the whirring of the motors during autofocus, since when I switch to manual focus the sound goes away. I should note I did not hear these noises in the first couple weeks of using the lens.

Here is sample audio file of what it sounds like when I half-press my shutter button:

[Mod note: Link removed - please do not link to potentially dangerous/unknown download sources per the FORUM GUIDELINES]

I would really appreciate people's thoughts on this issue and whether I should reach out to Canon support.

Thanks

3 REPLIES 3

Tronhard
Elite
Elite

My first reaction is, if you got the lens from a bricks and mortar store, go back to them with the camera and lens and let them observe the issue.  Hopefully, they can deal with it on your behalf.

If you got the lens from an authorized dealer - on-line or physical, then you should be covered by Canon's warranty.  In that case I would contact your closest Canon service centre and perhaps have a talk to them, and depending upon their advice, send it in for evaluation and repair.

cheers, TREVOR

"The Amount of Misery expands to fill the space available"
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

Most lenses are pretty quiet. I don't have any of the R series so I don't know about them. I have some Sigma lenses that do make an almost inaudible sound when focusing and the OS motor is running.

I have one SIgma lens that is the loudest lens I have or ever had. It is still working normally after 10 or 11 years.

If you can readily hear it it I would have it checked out.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

I have four Rf lenses, including the 24-105 L f/4, and my experience with they is that they are totally silent. They all have Nano-USM motors that are fast and silent.

cheers, TREVOR

"The Amount of Misery expands to fill the space available"
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris
Announcements