cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RF 100-500 Lens with 1.4 or 2X Extender

waldojess
Contributor

Wondering to get either a 1.4 or a 2X extender with the Rf 100-500 lens. Two concerns, one is a lot of wildlife photography is in lower lighting conditions and the 2X drops it to 11/14. Also, was surprised to see that the extender only works 300-500mm (not 1-299mm). Anyone have any experience with this lens and extenders?

22 REPLIES 22

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

I wouldn't do it. It's already a slow lens and the tele-con will only make it slower f9 to f14 in the case of the 2x. Very slow starting apertures!

Since I wouldn't do it, I don't know if they work or not personally. Canon tel-cons do not work on all Canon lenses. Make sure the Rf 100-500 is listed before you buy one.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

We have two users with a good amount of experience with this lens and extenders.

@Tintype_18

@Tronhard

I'm still holding out (hopeful) for an RF in this range that can be used with a 1.4x TC below 300mm. Maybe a mkII if it happens. Before going all in, I want to see if canon makes a lens in this FL with something lower than f7.1 and that doesn't have a limit when used with a TC. Its basically the last RF lens I will need to complete my "L" catalog. I don't need it until summer next year, so I'm going to wait on it. I purchased the 100~400 to get me through the wait. Canon is continuing to fill out their RF line, and I've got some time. I'll let the guys know you are looking for info.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

With my EF lenses I really like my 70-200 2.8. And a 300 F4. Both handle extenders very well in lower light. I prefer zoom vs prime because it gives you much more flexibility for wildlife.

if seems the best advice is to push the ISO.

I am also awaiting more Conor rf lenses. I’d like to see a 150-600 to compete with Tamron.

Now that I've bought the 100-500, I'll be pissed if you get what you want.  😋  Especially if it's f/5.6 or something like that.  That would be just about a perfect lens for me.  Of course price range would be a factor as well.

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

TC's work on the 100~500 but only at 300mm+. This in conjunction with the f7.1 is what's got me holding out. My Sigma 600c does better at f6.3, but the lens is unwieldy in comparison.

The RF 100~500 is a full pound lighter than the 600c and 1.63 lbs lighter that the 600s which I know Ernie owns.

I wouldn't recommend the 2.0x as it would really limit use to anything but bright, bright light. At that point, you have to bite the bullet and get a prime. (Cha-Ching$)

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

The problem with the prime is the enormous price delta. I saw a video where they pushed the ISO to 6,400 and 12,800 with good results using the 1.4 and 2.0. Wish o could afford both.

waldojess
Contributor

Thank you

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

" surprised to see that the extender only works 300-500mm (not 1-299mm)"

Telextenders are a compromise. As a rule they slow down autofocus and decrease image quality. They really should only be used to extend the maximum focal length of the lens.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

I would agree, but if your budget is limited, long prime lenses are out of the question.

Announcements